Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditions for Surjective and Injective linear maps

1. Jul 16, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I'm not sure if this should go under the HW/CW section, since it's not really a homework question, just a curiosity about certain kinds of functions. My specific question is this:

If M: U→V is injective and dim(U)=dim(V), does that imply that M is surjective (and therefore bijective) as well? And why is that?

I believe it does, but I can't seem to justify it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

For finite-dimensional spaces, it is true. It is called the Fredholm alternative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredholm_alternative

Do you know the rank-nullity theorem? It follows easily from there.

4. Jul 16, 2013 #3
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I didn't know there was a theorem for that.

5. Jul 23, 2013 #4
    Think about it intuitively too. Say [itex]V=\{v_1,v_2,...,v_k\}[/itex] is a basis for the Domain space. What is the image of [itex]V[/itex]? are the elements of [itex] M(V)[/itex] Linearly independent? It's a good exercise to figure this out. If they are, by the dimension condition you have found a basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook