Injective linear mapping - image

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that a linear mapping $f$ is injective if and only if the image of any linearly independent subset $S$ of $V$ is also linearly independent in $W$. The proof involves using the fact that if $f$ is injective, then the kernel is zero and the dimensions of the kernel and image add up to the dimension of $V$. It also involves showing that the image of a linearly independent set cannot be linearly dependent if $f$ is injective.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $F$ be a field and $V,W$ finite-dimensional vector spaces over $F$.

Let $f:V\rightarrow W$ a $F$-linear mapping.

We have to show that $f$ is injective if and only if for each linearly independent subset $S$ of $V$ the Image $f(S)$ is linearly independent in $W$. I have done the following:

If $f$ is injective we have that $kern (f)=\{0\}$, right?

Since $\dim (kern(f))+\dim (im(f))=\dim V$ and since $\dim (kern (f))=0$ we get that $\dim (im(f))=\dim V$.

It holds that $\dim im(f) = \dim W$, right?

So, we get that $im (f) = W$, or not? (Wondering)

Does this help us to get the desired result? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Since $S$ is linearly independent we get that $\sum_{i=1}^nc_is_i=0 \Rightarrow c_i=0, \forall i$, where $s_i\in S$.

Then since $f$ is linear we have that $f\left (\sum_{i=1}^nc_is_i\right )=f(0) \Rightarrow \sum_{i=1}^nc_if(s_i)=0$.

How do we continue from here? How do we use the fact that $f$ is injective? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Since $S$ is linearly independent we get that $\sum_{i=1}^nc_is_i=0 \Rightarrow c_i=0, \forall i$, where $s_i\in S$.

Then since $f$ is linear we have that $f\left (\sum_{i=1}^nc_is_i\right )=f(0) \Rightarrow \sum_{i=1}^nc_if(s_i)=0$.

How do we continue from here? How do we use the fact that $f$ is injective? (Wondering)

Take the image of a linearly independent set and assume it is not independent you should be able to get a contradiction using the fact you gave that injective means the kernal is zero.

1. What is an injective linear mapping?

An injective linear mapping, also known as an injective linear transformation, is a function that preserves linear combinations and has a one-to-one correspondence between its domain and codomain. This means that each element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the codomain, and no two elements in the domain are mapped to the same element in the codomain.

2. What does it mean for a linear mapping to be injective?

A linear mapping is injective if it preserves linear combinations and has a one-to-one correspondence between its domain and codomain. This means that each element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the codomain, and no two elements in the domain are mapped to the same element in the codomain.

3. How is the image of an injective linear mapping related to its codomain?

The image of an injective linear mapping is a subset of its codomain. It is the set of all elements in the codomain that are mapped to by at least one element in the domain. Since an injective linear mapping has a one-to-one correspondence between its domain and codomain, the image will contain all elements in the codomain.

4. Can an injective linear mapping have a non-trivial kernel?

No, an injective linear mapping cannot have a non-trivial kernel. A non-trivial kernel is a set of elements in the domain that map to the zero vector in the codomain. Since an injective linear mapping has a one-to-one correspondence between its domain and codomain, it cannot have any non-zero elements in its kernel.

5. How can I determine if a linear mapping is injective?

A linear mapping is injective if and only if its kernel is trivial, meaning it only contains the zero vector. To determine if a linear mapping is injective, you can check if its kernel is trivial. This can be done by solving the linear system of equations associated with the mapping or by using other methods such as the rank-nullity theorem.