Conditions for waves to be coherent?

In summary, for two waves to be coherent, they must have the same frequency and a constant phase difference between any point on one wave and any on the other. This means that even if the waves have different wavelengths and velocities, they can still produce a stationary/standing wave as long as their frequencies are equal. This is because the time it takes for each wave to complete one cycle is the same, resulting in a constant phase difference between any two points. The equations representing the waves may differ if they are moving in opposite directions, but the frequency and coherence remain the same.
MBBphys
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hello,
For two waves to be coherent, they must have the same frequency right? Does this on its own implies a constant phase different between any point on one wave and any on the other.

So, for example, if we had two waves with different wavelengths and velocities but equal frequencies traveling in opposite directions towards each other, and both had the same amplitude, would a stationary/standing wave be produced? A friend of mine said no, but I thought as the frequencies are the same, there is a constant phase difference between any two points as aforementioned, so a stationary wave would be produced. They didn't really explain why hence I turn to you :)

Thanks!

Homework Equations

Not really any relevant equations for this I know of (or at least, at A Level in the UK, there aren't any equations we learned).

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that, instead of looking at waves, if we look at two points, one on each of the two waves concerned, it shouldn't matter if they have differing wavelengths and velocities, they will still have a constant phase difference if they have equal frequencies, because this means they take the same time to go through one complete cycle of the wave, hence difference between the fractions of the wave cycle passed will always be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess there are a few things that you may want to consider for this question.
First of all, can you write an equation that represents a wave with a given frequency? (For example, take a simple sinusoidal wave moving along a string.)
How do you show "coherence," i.e., constant phase difference between any two points (either in time or space) along the wave?
Now consider: does your equation change for a wave moving in the opposite direction? For example, does the "frequency" change? How about the coherence?

1. What is coherence in relation to waves?

Coherence refers to the degree of similarity or correlation between two or more wave signals. In other words, it measures how much the waves are in phase with each other.

2. What are the necessary conditions for waves to be coherent?

There are three main conditions for waves to be coherent: the waves must have a constant phase difference, their amplitudes must be similar, and they must have the same frequency.

3. How does the distance between two wave sources affect coherence?

The closer the two wave sources are to each other, the higher the coherence between them. As the distance increases, the coherence decreases as the waves become more out of phase.

4. Can waves with different wavelengths be coherent?

Yes, waves with different wavelengths can be coherent as long as they have the same frequency and a constant phase difference. This is known as temporal coherence.

5. How is coherence important in practical applications?

Coherence is crucial in many practical applications, such as in optical communication, holography, and interferometry. It allows for precise measurements and imaging by ensuring that the waves are in phase and interference patterns can be formed.