1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase difference and Standing waves vs Progressive waves

1. May 18, 2017 #1
    1495121023587-154927012.jpg and 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok, so I am doing As physics at the moment and have been left confused by stationary waves.
    I have read that between adjacent nodes/ even numbers the phase difference is always 0 and between numbers of does it is pi radians. So in the attatched image why is my textbook giving answers of 180, 225 and 0 degrees: this is what would be the case on a progressive wave, right?
    Also, do stationary waves only form where 2 progressive waves in opposite directions have the same frequency, wavelength and constant phase difference, or only a few of the named conditions needed?

Thanks everyone

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is rather garbled. Please clarify.

With regard to the question, I do not understand how you are supposed to know exactly where B is.

4. May 19, 2017 #3
    I was meant to put between odd numbers of nodes is the phase difference pi radians?

5. May 19, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok.
    In this question, O, A and C are antinodes, but the same method applies.
    Counting from O, how many antinodes away is A? Is that an even or odd number?
    How about from O to C?

6. May 19, 2017 #5
    Would it not just be Pi rad for A and B and 0 for C?

7. May 19, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

π For A and 0 for C, but B is not at a node or antinode. As I wrote, from the information given, I don't know how you are supposed to know exactly where B is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted