Condoleezza Rice named as Bush's nominee for new Sec. of State. Good god

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary: The AP is reporting that Condoleezza Rice has been selected by Bush to be Colin Powell's sucessor.In summary, President Bush has selected Condoleezza Rice, his national security adviser, to replace Colin Powell as secretary of state. This is part of a major shakeup of Bush's national security team as three other Cabinet secretaries have also resigned. There is speculation about Rice's ability to be diplomatic and manage her team, but she is highly intelligent and has credibility with the Bush administration. Other resignations and potential replacements are also being discussed.
wasteofo2
The AP is reporting that Condoleezza Rice has been selected by Bush to be Colin Powell's sucessor.

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush has selected Condoleezza Rice, his national security adviser and trusted confidant, to replace Colin Powell as secretary of state, officials said Monday, in a major shakeup of the president's national security team. Three other Cabinet secretaries also resigned."

What the hell kind of Diplomat does Bush think Rice is? Colin Powell couldn't get the world on Bush's side, does he expect Rice to do anything but alienate the world from the US even more?

Physics news on Phys.org
He certainly could have done better I'll say that.

Fasten your seatbelts, looks like a bumpy ride...

Secretary of State, Exxon. We need a job for Bechtel in the cabinet. What about Monsanto, maybe Monsanto can head up the EPA.

Political Prodigy said:
He certainly could have done better I'll say that.

Fasten your seatbelts, looks like a bumpy ride...
Mmm...

I'm really looking forward to these next four years of governing from the middle, bi-partisanship and moderate viewpoints.

wasteofo2 said:
Mmm...

I'm really looking forward to these next four years of governing from the middle, bi-partisanship and moderate viewpoints.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

:rolleyes: :frown: :cry:

Yep, good way to continue to alienate the rest of the world.

Practice saying "Madam President".

GENIERE said:
Practice saying "Madam President".

Condoleezza Rice as the first Female President? Hillary v. Rice '08?

I think you underestimate the sexism and racism that still exists in America.

Plus, Condoleezza Rice just looks evil and mean, always growling to herself or something...

kat said:
Rice is an incredibly talented and intelligent woman who far outshines Hillary in both personality and capabilities.
Dr Rice's intellectual brilliance is undisputed

Kat, she may be intelligent, I don't doubt that, but she doesn't seem to be very diplomatic, which is what is required of the Secretary of State. It doesn't take much to outshine Hillary in personality. :smile:

Plus, Condoleezza Rice just looks evil and mean, always growling to herself or something...

Hilary looks nice?

Between Hilary and Rice I would chose Rice...but I still think Bush could have chosen a better person for the job. Has it been anounced who is taking Rice's old position?

Rice has some good points and bad points.

One good point is credibility. Being in favor with Bush, what she says is more likely to be consistent with what the Bush administration will support. (Powell has always acted consistent with the Bush policies, but the appearance of his not belonging hurts his credibility - which is why Rice and Baker were recently sent to do jobs the Secretary of State would normally perform).

Another is that she is very intelligent and would be expected to give good reliable advice.

Bad point is that she's developed a reputation as a bad manager. While she should have been in charge of keeping Rumsfield and Powell on the same page for National Security, she hasn't quite been up to the task of having to deal with Rumsfield, Powell, plus Cheney. There's no reason to think she'll have much better luck with Rumsfield and Cheney just because Powell's gone.

She also loses a little credibilty with the public because of how she handled Clarke's warnings about pre-9/11 al-Qaeda activity.

Even if you disagree with the Bush foreign policies, having a spokesman that's solidly on the team is a plus.

On a related note, Dick Armitage has also offered his resignation. Now this, I find a little surprising...but seeing as how Condi's got the top job at State, this makes sense.

Its going to be Karl Rove, who else would it be? If it turns out to be Boykin, then we will never escape from the Death Star.

I heard that Rumsfield was also going to be resigned...no?

kat said:

That's the speculation I heard...don't know if it's true or just rumor though. I haven't been following this all too much, but what are the people resigning doing instead? Have they resigned to do other things, or just to get out? I'm just surprised at so many resignations all at once.

I had heard that some had been asked to resign and others were told if they thought they would want to resign at some point to do so now as Bush wanted a solid second term cabinet and did not want to have to replace people 7 or 8 months down the line. Just heard that Tony Snow-Tom Ridge resignation will be announced soon. I'm thinking Rudy for the new DHS...

kat said:
I'd put money on Rumsfeld not resigning unless he REALLY has to. I mean, he didn't resign after Abu Gharib, he didn't resign after lots of failures, it'll take some heavy sh:t to make him think he's actually messed up.

Off topic, it's interesting that Condoleezza Rice is a concert level pianist. I like how the BBC picture of her playing with Yo Yo Ma said that she was being accompanied by Yo Yo Ma. As if it was Yo Yo Ma's grandest experience to play music with a politician :smile:

Last edited:
kat said:
I had heard that some had been asked to resign and others were told if they thought they would want to resign at some point to do so now as Bush wanted a solid second term cabinet and did not want to have to replace people 7 or 8 months down the line. Just heard that Tony Snow-Tom Ridge resignation will be announced soon. I'm thinking Rudy for the new DHS...

I guess that makes sense. I figured Bush might make a few changes and ask for resignations for his second term, just didn't expect him to start already.

wasteofo2 said:

Is she single?

Tatum said:
Is she single?
I'd imagine so. She's seems more likely to slit someone's throat and drink their blood than to be a good dinner partner.

Rice vs. Hillary in 2008! Whadda matchup!

That would put your average Georgia Republican in quite a predicament.

I'll bet it won't happen though.

selfAdjoint said:
Rice vs. Hillary in 2008! Whadda matchup!
I've read this thread and a few people seem to think this isn't possible, but I've heard the Hilary-Rice idea from several places now. They are for a start the 2 most high profile of all the possible candidates I've heard are in the running. Their actions over the next couple of years will se whether they stay in that position. Rice just needs to do a half decent job while Hilary just needs to keep in the public eye and support casues from the central ground.

Personally I look forward to such a contest in 2008. It'd be nothing if not interesting.

Did you guys hear the news, Rice has some kind of cancer! BAD KARMA!

tumor said:
Did you guys hear the news, Rice has some kind of cancer! BAD KARMA!

I wonder what karma has in store for someone who is happy when other people contract cancer.

All of the news reports I've read said it was not cancer.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=5&u=/ap/20041120/ap_on_go_pr_wh/rice_surgery

Last edited by a moderator:
loseyourname said:
I wonder what karma has in store for someone who is happy when other people contract cancer.

Don't worry about my karma, i don't have blood of thousands innocent civilians on my hands.

tumor said:
Don't worry about my karma, i don't have blood of thousands innocent civilians on my hands.

Neither does 99.999999% of the human species. Does this, by itself, make you a good person?

At least in comparisson to the US politicians I'm almost mother Teresa.
Bush is crazy,Cheney is on defibrillator,Rice has cancer..nice team we have in the W.House.or rather Old Folks House/Asylum. :smile:

tumor said:
At least in comparisson to the US politicians I'm almost mother Teresa.
Bush is crazy,Cheney is on defibrillator,Rice has cancer..nice team we have in the W.House.or rather Old Folks House/Asylum. :smile:

I never thought i would hear Mother Teresa profaned. I was wrong.

I hope you're looking forward to the fires of hell as much as I am. See you there.

We are already in hell my friend.

tumor said:
We are already in hell my friend.

Fair enough. How's your wing of hell these days?

Why did Coling Powell quit his job as Secretary of State?

Because he was tired of Bush asking him, "What state are you the secretary of?" :smile:

Maybe Bush gave her AIDS? she ain't that bad looking.

Related to Condoleezza Rice named as Bush's nominee for new Sec. of State. Good god

1. Who is Condoleezza Rice?

Condoleezza Rice is an American political scientist and diplomat who served as the 66th United States Secretary of State from 2005 to 2009. She was also the first African American woman to hold this position.

2. Why was Condoleezza Rice chosen as the nominee for Secretary of State?

Condoleezza Rice was chosen as the nominee for Secretary of State due to her extensive experience in foreign policy and international relations. She had previously served as National Security Advisor under President George W. Bush and had a strong working relationship with him.

3. What are the responsibilities of the Secretary of State?

The Secretary of State is responsible for advising the President on foreign policy and representing the United States in international affairs. They also oversee the operations of the State Department and its various agencies.

4. How did the public react to Condoleezza Rice's nomination?

The public's reaction to Condoleezza Rice's nomination was mixed. While some praised her qualifications and experience, others expressed concerns about her involvement in the Iraq War and her stance on various foreign policy issues.

5. What challenges did Condoleezza Rice face during her tenure as Secretary of State?

Some of the challenges that Condoleezza Rice faced during her tenure as Secretary of State included the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, tensions with North Korea and Iran, and the fallout from the 2008 financial crisis. She also faced criticism for the use of torture and other controversial interrogation techniques by the CIA during her time as National Security Advisor.