Conducting liquid that is not electrolysed

• Thread starter eptheta
  • Start date
Hi,
Can anyone suggest a conducting liquid that does not get electrolysed when current passes through it ?
By liquid i mean anything, a salt solution, a liquid metal.....The only restricting factor is that is should be in liquid state at room temperature(i.e does not require extra heating/cooling/attention)

Mercury is option 1, but i'm looking for alternatives...
Gallium is 2, but it's hell costly.
Any ? Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Anyone ?
In any case, Suppose I use copper sulphate solution and pass AC current through it, will it get electrolysed or will it be in a state of equilibrium ?

Borek
Mentor
Charge transfer between electrode and solution always means electrode reaction. It doesn't have to be electrolysis - it can be reduction/oxidation, something like Fe(III)/Fe(II).

So is CuSO4 a good idea?
If not, could you suggest a relatively inexpensive liquid that i could use to conduct electricity (since i live under the sea, and we don't allow copper wires here...Stupid government)

Borek
Mentor
Use aluminum wires.

I need a liquid, not a solid......
There must be something like mercury but slightly less deadly and also cheap...

alxm
Science Advisor
If you find one, you can create a replacement for mercury switches (which've been phased out due to RoHS).

So far I don't think anyone really has because there simply isn't any known fluid that conducts electricity well enough, or at currents high enough.

Eptheta if you describe your application people here might come up with suitable alternatives to a liquid.I am thinking of fine carbon powder,it is a good conductor and acts a bit like a fluid.

Ah, I should probably think of this on my own anyway. (It does have to to with switches and bounce though...)
Thanks a lot though. I'll look into carbon powder and see if it suits my application.

This topic can be closed. I don't want to take the fun out of experimenting !

DrDu
Science Advisor
Do you want to conduct dc or ac?

Ah what the heck !
The application is something like a switch which creates a circuit due to the electrical conductivity of the liquid.

I need it specifically for AC, but it would be great if it works for DC too...

Borek
Mentor
Why does it have to be a liquid - perhaps small metal ball on rails will do the trick?

What currents do you expect - small ones? Large ones?

I have a feeling it is not a chemistry problem, more engineering one.

Good point...
The idea of this thread was just so i can find a suitable 'liquid' (chemistry involved) to start my 'engineering' project (one option) with, but it has evolved to become a discussion of my project itself (which I don't want really).
So I'll stop it here. Thank for all the suggestions, i appreciate it, but I'm going to have to end up doing it myself.

Can this topic be closed? (every new reply tempts me to start discussing it again)
Thanks.

DrDu
Science Advisor
I just wanted to give you a tip: Look up how an electrolytic capacitor works.
That's why I was asking whether ac would do.

So is CuSO4 a good idea?
CuSO4 solutions yield sulfuric acid when electrolyzed...

Borek
Mentor
Depends on what is happening on anode.