Conducting sphere Find the electric filed for r<a,a<r<b,r>b

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Jozefina Gramatikova
Messages
62
Reaction score
9

Homework Statement



media%2Fd9f%2Fd9f8c6e6-1a34-41bc-b603-9b7c319db8c5%2FphpsMDTM3.png

Homework Equations



main-qimg-0984e30591a0778448038088e6a03223-c-jpg.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution


for part ii)
a<r<b E=0
I am not sure what will be the difference between the formulas for the electric field for a<r and a>b I think the formulas will look the same:
upload_2018-8-19_15-48-53.png

The only difference that I can think of is that when r<a, we are going to use the charge enclosed in that surface. For r>b we are going to use the total charge. Is that true?
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-8-19_15-48-53.png
    upload_2018-8-19_15-48-53.png
    8 KB · Views: 341
  • media%2Fd9f%2Fd9f8c6e6-1a34-41bc-b603-9b7c319db8c5%2FphpsMDTM3.png
    media%2Fd9f%2Fd9f8c6e6-1a34-41bc-b603-9b7c319db8c5%2FphpsMDTM3.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 581
  • main-qimg-0984e30591a0778448038088e6a03223-c-jpg.jpg
    main-qimg-0984e30591a0778448038088e6a03223-c-jpg.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 573
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused on your use of variables, but looks like you got the right idea. You're correct, Qenc refers to total charge enclosed within the closed surface you're integrating over.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jozefina Gramatikova