1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conduction and displacement currents for a spherical solid

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the conduction and displacement currents cancel each other for a spherical radioactive solid emitting charged particles radially outwards

2. Relevant equations
    Maxwell's equations
    Current density (j)
    Displacement current density (jd)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I haven't made it very far into the problem. I think "the conduction" means i=dq/dt and "displacement current" id=jd*S with jd= ∂D/∂t. However, I am still struggling to understand the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Huan. Welcome to PF!

Every volume element of the sphere will be continually emitting charged particles due to the radioactive decay. The emitted particles are assumed (unrealistically) to stream out radially without being reabsorbed anywhere in the sphere. So, as the sphere emits particles the sphere builds up charge. Charge must be conserved locally and this can be used to relate the radial conduction current density, ##j_r##, to the charge density, ##\rho##, of the sphere. There is a well known formula for local charge conservation.

As you noted, the displacement current, ##j_d##, is related to ##\dot{\mathbf{D}}##. You'll need to relate ##\mathbf{D}## to ##\rho##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted