1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conduction through a spherical shell.

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    How do I solve for the temperature at a certain time for conduction through a spherical shell? I have a shell 5 cm thick with a radius of 0.5m. I am starting with Q=KA(T2-T1)/L and I am completely lost as to where to go with it.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Imagine the sphere has lines of latitude and longitude drawn on it. The (differential element of ) area of a rectangle defined by these lines is ( working in polar coords [itex]r, \theta, \phi[/itex])

[tex]dA = rd\theta*rsin\theta d\phi[/tex]

so, using your formula

[tex]dQ = rd\theta*rsin\theta d\phi*K(T_1-T_2)/0.05[/tex]

Now integrate out [itex]d\theta, d\phi[/itex] between 0 and 2*pi, and that gives the formula for the whole shell.

Of course you don't actually need to integrate - just think about it and the answer is obvious.

This solution is not exact because we're ignoring the difference in area btween the outer and inner surfaces ...

To solve exactly one needs a differential dL of thickness. Not a trivial problem.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?