Confirming Answers to Homework Questions

• Thread starter cosmictide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the aircraft has an air speed of 680 km h-1 and a heading of 150°. The wind is blowing at a speed of 70 km h-1 from a bearing of 220°. The resultant velocity v of the aircraft is 286.4 km h-1 and the direction is 294°.
cosmictide
Hi,

I'm not really sure whether I've answered this question correctly. I'd really appreciate if someone could check my answers and point me in the right direction if I'm indeed incorrect.

Thanks in advance.

Homework Statement

An aircraft has an air speed (speed relative to the surrounding air) of 680 km h-1 and a heading of 150°. There is a wind blowing from a bearing of 220° at a speed of 70 km h-1. Take i to point east and j to point north.

a) Express the velocity p of the aircraft relative to the air and the velocity w of the wind in component form, giving numerical values in km h-1 to one decimal place.

b) Express the resultant velocity v of the aircraft in component form.

c) Hence find the magnitude and direction of the velocity v of the aircraft,giving the magnitude to the nearest km h-1 and the direction as a bearing to the nearest degree.

The Attempt at a Solution

These are the answers obtained.

a) p=340 km h-1 i-588.9 km h-1 j and w=53.6 km h-1 i+45 km h-1 j.

b) v=286.4 km h-1 i-633.9 km h-1 j.

c) Magnitude of v=696 km h-1 (to the nearest km h-1) and the direction of the velocity v=294° (to the nearest degree).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your numbers look good, but I think you have some of the signs mixed up. Look at the angles you're given -- the plane's direction is 150 degrees, so this would mean a negative i vector and a positive j vector. For the wind, if it points toward 220 degrees, then both vectors would be negative.

jackarms said:
Your numbers look good, but I think you have some of the signs mixed up. Look at the angles you're given -- the plane's direction is 150 degrees, so this would mean a negative i vector and a positive j vector. For the wind, if it points toward 220 degrees, then both vectors would be negative.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The angles were measured clockwise rather than anticlockwise which is the norm but that shouldn't matter. Also the wind was blowing from a bearing of 220° so would travel in the opposite direction for instance a southerly wind blows towards the north.

Thanks.

What is the purpose of confirming answers to homework questions?

The purpose of confirming answers to homework questions is to ensure that the answers provided are correct and accurate. This helps students to better understand the material and improve their problem-solving skills.

How do I confirm the answers to my homework questions?

You can confirm the answers to your homework questions by double-checking your work, asking a teacher or tutor for help, or using reliable online resources such as textbooks or educational websites.

What should I do if I am unsure about an answer?

If you are unsure about an answer, you should try to solve the problem again using a different approach or seek help from a teacher or tutor. It is important to understand the concept rather than simply memorizing the answer.

Why is it important to confirm answers to homework questions?

Confirming answers to homework questions is important because it helps you to identify any mistakes or misconceptions you may have, and allows you to correct them before submitting your work. It also helps you to develop critical thinking skills and a deeper understanding of the subject.

Are there any tools or resources that can help me confirm my homework answers?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help you confirm your homework answers. These include online calculators, textbooks, study guides, and educational websites. Additionally, you can seek help from teachers, tutors, or classmates if you are unsure about a particular answer.