Find the velocity of the wind relative to the boat

In summary, Mitch explains that the direction the wind is blowing is relative to the boat and that it is coming from a direction of - 18 − 6 = − 24 i − 18 − 6 = − 24 i - 18 - 6 = − 24 i which is east.
gnits
Homework Statement
Find velocity of wind relative to boat
Relevant Equations
Va-Vb=Vab
Could someone please help me see where I am going wrong here?

During a race between two boats A and B there is a wind of 18 km/h blowing from due north. The resultant velocity if A is 12 km/h on a bearing of 060. Find the direction of the wind relative to A.

My reasoning:

(Relative to the Earth) A is traveling on a vector ##12\,sin(60) i +12\,cos(60) j = 6\sqrt{3}i + 6j##

(Relative to the Earth) The wind is traveling on a vector ##-18j##

So from A's point of view, vertically, the wind will seem to be coming in a direction of ##-18-6=-24i## and horizontally from a direction of ##0-6\sqrt{3}i=-6\sqrt{3}i##

And so from A's point of view the wind will be coming from a direction of ##270 - tan^{-1}(-24\,/\,(6\sqrt{3}))=270-66.59=203.41##

Book's answer is 193.9.

Thanks for any help,
Mitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which directions are ##i## and ##j## relative to North?

i is North and j is East

gnits said:
i is North and j is East
Unless I'm missing something, your answer looks correct. Although, with ##i## being East. You seem to have ##i## changing between East and North from one line to the next.

Why not use E and N for East and North?

gnits said:
So from A's point of view, vertically, the wind will seem to be coming in a direction of −18−6=−24i−18−6=−24i-18-6=-24i and horizontally from a direction of 0−6√3i=−6√3i0−63i=−63i0-6\sqrt{3}i=-6\sqrt{3}i

I think there is much confusion and imprecision in this statement. First, does “coming in a direction” mean “coming from a direction” or “blowing in a direction”? Those are opposite things. You’ve mixed them. Which do you mean? You use -18. With the negative sign that suggests you mean the direction the wind is traveling toward, not the direction it is coming from. (Also note that you used “i” where you meant “j”.) To this you add -6. This suggests that you believe that the apparent wind is opposite the direction of travel of the boat. (correct). Ok, if you meant the direction the wind is traveling toward, and you meant to use a j instead of an i, so far so good. However in the horizontal part directly below you say “the wind is coming from” but then use the negative sign indicating that you think the apparent wind is in the same direction as the boat travels (incorrect). So, which is it? I know it may sound like I’m nit picking, but this stuff is important. You will confuse yourself.

203.41 degrees looks good using cosine rule for Va , then sine rule for bearing of wind relative to boat.

Thanks everybody for your help, I really appreciate it, it was very helpful.

Mitch.

1. What is wind velocity and how is it measured?

Wind velocity is the speed at which air is moving in a specific direction. It is typically measured using an anemometer, which has rotating cups that measure the speed of the wind.

2. How is the velocity of the wind relative to a boat determined?

The velocity of the wind relative to a boat is determined by taking into account the boat's speed and direction, as well as the wind speed and direction. This can be calculated using vector addition or trigonometric equations.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of wind velocity measurements?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of wind velocity measurements include the location and height of the anemometer, air temperature, and wind turbulence caused by obstacles or terrain.

4. How does wind velocity impact a boat's speed and direction?

The wind velocity can have a significant impact on a boat's speed and direction, as it can either help propel the boat or create resistance and drag. The direction of the wind can also affect the boat's heading and steering.

5. How can knowing the velocity of the wind relative to a boat be useful?

Knowing the velocity of the wind relative to a boat can be useful for navigation, as it can help determine the most efficient route and sailing tactics. It can also be important for safety, as strong winds can make boating conditions hazardous.