Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Conformal) gravity and constraints

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1

haushofer

Science Advisor

Hi,

I have a question about imposing constraints in order to obtain theories of gravity from gauge algebras.

Let's take as a warming-up Poincare gravity. The procedure is as follows:

* Gauge the Poincare group with generators P (translations) and M (rotations) to obtain the vielbein and spin connection as gauge fields
    * Impose curvature (R) constraints
    *Obtain Einstein gravity

The curvature constraint is R(P)=0. This constraint does two things:

* It makes the spin connection a dependent field, which we want: the only propagating degree of freedom should be the vielbein!
    * It enables one to rewrite the P-transformation on the vielbein (which is the only independent field left) as a general coordinate transformation minus a Lorentz transformation, which we want: a theory of gravity has as "gauge transformations" local Lorentz transformations and general coordinate transformations; no P-transformations are present.

My question is basically: these two reasons are completely different from each-other, but somehow I suspect there is a link between them. What is this link?

My question becomes more clear in the conformal case. Here we start with the conformal group. The procedure is then as follows:

*Gauge the conformal group with generators P (translations),M (Lorentz transformations ),K (special conformal transformations),D (dilatations)
    *Impose curvature constraints
    *Gauge away the gauge field belonging to the dilatations
    *Write down the action of a conformal scalar
    *Obtain the Hilbert action from this action via our curvature constraints

Again, the curvature constraints allow us to make certain gauge fields dependent and to remove the P-transformations from the remaining independent fields (the vielbein and the dilatation-gauge field). So again I wonder: what is the link between these two demands?

I hope my question is clear :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2010 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

A second chance :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook