Conformal Mapping and flow normal to ellipse

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Joukowski map to find the flow normal to an ellipse of major axis a and minor axis b. However, it is stated that the complete elliptical integral of the second kind and the eccentricity of the disk must be taken into account. One participant suggests using a different map, but admits that they are unsure how it will modify the coefficient.
nickthequick
Hi,

Given that the flow normal to a thin disk or radius r is given by

[itex] \phi = -\frac{2rU}{\pi}\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2+y^2}{r^2}}[/itex]

where U is the speed of the flow normal to the disk, find the flow normal to an ellipse of major axis a and minor axis b.

I can only find the answer in the literature in one place, where it's stated

[itex] \phi = -\frac{U b}{E(e)} \sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}}[/itex]

where E(e) is the complete elliptical integral of the second kind and e is the eccentricity of the disk.

I have been trying to use the Joukowski map to send lines of equipotential of the disk to those of the ellipse, but I'm not sure how the complete elliptical integral of the second kind enters this picture.

Any suggestions, references, would be appreciated!

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
On second thought, the Joukowski map seems inappropriate here. I think the map I want is

[itex] z\to a \cosh(\xi + i \eta)[/itex] so that
[itex] x=a\sinh (\xi) \cos(\eta) [/itex] and [itex] y = a\cosh (\xi) \sin(\eta)[/itex].

This will effectively give me the change in functional form that I expect; however, I still don't see how this will modify the coefficient in the appropriate way.

1. What is conformal mapping and how does it relate to flow normal to an ellipse?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used to map one complex plane onto another while preserving angles. In the context of fluid dynamics, it is used to study the flow of fluids around complex geometries, such as an ellipse. By applying conformal mapping, we can determine the flow normal to an ellipse, which is the direction of flow perpendicular to the surface of the ellipse.

2. Why is it important to understand the flow normal to an ellipse?

Understanding the flow normal to an ellipse is important in many practical applications, such as aerodynamics and hydrodynamics. It allows us to predict the behavior of fluids around curved surfaces and design efficient and safe structures, such as aircraft wings or boat hulls.

3. How is conformal mapping used in calculating the flow normal to an ellipse?

Conformal mapping is used to transform the complex flow field around an ellipse onto a simpler geometry, such as a circle or a straight line. This transformation preserves the angles and distances, making it easier to analyze the flow and calculate the flow normal to the ellipse.

4. Can conformal mapping be used for other shapes besides an ellipse?

Yes, conformal mapping can be applied to any complex geometry, as long as it is a two-dimensional shape. It has been used to study the flow around various shapes, including airfoils, cylinders, and spheres.

5. Are there any limitations to using conformal mapping for studying flow normal to an ellipse?

One limitation of using conformal mapping is that it assumes the fluid is flowing in a steady and laminar manner. In reality, fluids can exhibit turbulent and unsteady behavior, which can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the chosen conformal mapping function and its parameters, which may not always be easy to determine.