Confused About the Chain Rule for Partial Differentiation

In summary, Goldstein is discussing the derivation of Lagrange's equation from D'Alembert's Principle. He states the chain rule for partial differentiation, and from that equation, that: \frac{d}{dt}\frac{d\mathbf{r}_i}{dq_j}=\sum_k \frac{\partial^2 \textbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j \partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial^2 \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j\partial t}
coca-cola
Hey all,

I am reading Goldstein and I am at a point where I can't follow along. He has started with D'Alembert's Principle and he is showing that Lagrange's equation can be derived from it. He states the chain rule for partial differentiation:
[tex]\frac{d\textbf{r}_i}{dt}=\sum_k \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial t}[/tex]

Then he states, by the equation above, that:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{d\mathbf{r}_i}{dq_j}=\sum_k \frac{\partial^2 \textbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j \partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial^2 \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j\partial t}[/tex]

He further states from the first equation that:
[tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{v}_i}{\partial \dot{q}_j}=\frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j}[/tex]

I have tried to connect the dots but I cannot succeed. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using \mathbf{} instead of textbf. Also, you're missing a \ on the frac command in your second LaTeX line.
Here is a snippet using mathbf: ##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{d\mathbf{r_i}}{dq_j}##

Unrendered, this is # #\frac{d}{dt}\frac{d\mathbf{r_i}}{dq_j}# # (spaces added between # chars to prevent rendering). If you fix your LaTeX code, I'll take a look. Otherwise, it's too complicated to try to figure out what you wrote.

Also, on your final tex, the slash should be in the opposite direction, i.e., /tex.

It is a good practice to preview your LaTex equations while they are partially under construction so that you can spot errors early on and correct them.

coca-cola said:
Hey all,

I am reading Goldstein and I am at a point where I can't follow along. He has started with D'Alembert's Principle and he is showing that Lagrange's equation can be derived from it. He states the chain rule for partial differentiation:
[tex]\frac{d\textbf{r}_i}{dt}=\sum_k \frac{\partial \textbf{r}_i}{\partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial \textbf{r}_i}{\partial t}[/tex]

Then he states, by the equation above, that:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{d\textbf{r}_i}{dq_j}=\sum_k \frac{\partial^2 \textbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j \partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial^2 \textbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j\partial t}[/tex]

He further states from the first equation that:
[tex]\frac{\partial \textbf{v}_i}{\partial \dot{q}_j}=\frac{\partial \textbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j}[/tex]

I have tried to connect the dots but I cannot succeed. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Equations from OP fixed above. When doing heavy Latex work, always check your post by hitting the Preview button to make sure everything is correct.

Likes coca-cola
Hey, just checked back in. My apologies guys, I don't post often. I didn't even see the preview option. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the formatting help!

What is the chain rule for partial differentiation?

The chain rule for partial differentiation is a rule used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that has multiple variables. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

Why is the chain rule important in partial differentiation?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. This is necessary in many real-world applications where multiple variables are involved.

How do you apply the chain rule in partial differentiation?

To apply the chain rule in partial differentiation, you first need to identify the inner and outer functions. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function with respect to the variable of interest and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the same variable. If there are multiple variables, you repeat this process for each variable and add the results together.

Can you provide an example of using the chain rule in partial differentiation?

Yes, for example, if we have the function f(x,y) = (x^2 + y)^4, and we want to find the partial derivative with respect to x, we first identify the inner function as u = x^2 + y and the outer function as f(u) = u^4. Then, using the chain rule, we get df/dx = 4u^3 * 2x = 8x(x^2 + y)^3.

What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule in partial differentiation?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule in partial differentiation include forgetting to take the derivative of the inner function, mixing up the order of the variables, and not simplifying the final expression. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these errors.