Confused about the proof of U = U + U, where U is a subspace

In summary, the proof shows that the set U+U is equal to the set U by proving that every element of U+U is contained in U and vice versa. This is done by using the properties of vector spaces, such as closure under addition and the existence of an additive identity.
PhillipKP

Homework Statement

Hi I need help understanding a proof. This is my first time in a pure math class, so proofs of this type are a little weird to me.

If U is a subspace of the vectorspace V, what is U+U?

Homework Equations

The proof:

[tex](v_{1}+v_{2})\in U+U[/tex]

As [tex]v_{1},v_{2}\in U[/tex]and [tex]U[/tex] is a subspace of [tex]V[/tex],

[tex](v_{1}+v_{2})\in U[/tex]

Thus [tex]U+U\subseteq U[/tex]

Now let
[tex]v\in U[/tex].

Then as [tex]0\in U[/tex],

[tex]v=(v+0)\in U+U.[/tex]

Thus [tex]U\subseteq U+U[/tex]

[tex]\therefore U=U+U[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why the first part proves [tex]U+U\subseteq U[/tex] rather than [tex]U\subseteq U+U[/tex].

Similarly, I don't understand why the second part proves [tex]U\subseteq U+U[/tex] rather than proving [tex]U+U\subseteq U[/tex].

I guess I just don't understand why each part proves 1 direction of the equality by not the other direction.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what's confusing you. In the first part you picked a general element of U+U and showed that it's in U, right? If I pick any element of A and show that it is in B, that means A is a subset of B, also right?

Ok I agree with you. But why is the second part of the proof so much different from the first part?

Couldn't I just exchange the 1st and 3rd line of the proof to prove the other direction?

The second part is different, uh, because it's different. Now you want to take an element of U and show it's in U+U. The first part uses the fact that vector spaces are closed under addition. The second part uses that they have an additive identity. They really are different.

To prove that 2 set A and B are equal, one has to prove that A is a subset of B, and B is also a subset of A. Or written formally:

[tex]A = B \Leftrightarrow \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} A & \subset & B \\ B & \subset & A \end{array} \right.[/tex]

Or in words, A are B are equal, iff every element of A is contained in B, and vice-versa.

Vector-space (or sub-space) can be understood as a set of vectors with 2 predefined operators: vector addition, and scalar multiplication.

So to prove 2 subspace A, and B are equal, one just needs to prove:

[tex]A = B \Leftrightarrow \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} A & \subset & B \\ B & \subset & A \end{array} \right.[/tex]

PhillipKP said:

Homework Statement

Hi I need help understanding a proof. This is my first time in a pure math class, so proofs of this type are a little weird to me.

If U is a subspace of the vectorspace V, what is U+U?

Homework Equations

The proof:[tex](v_{1}+v_{2})\in U+U[/tex]

We'll now be proving that every element of U + U is in U. First, take out a random vector in U + U, namely v1 + v2.

As [tex]v_{1},v_{2}\in U[/tex]and [tex]U[/tex] is a subspace of [tex]V[/tex],

[tex](v_{1}+v_{2})\in U[/tex]

We have proved that this vector is also contained in U. And hence, we have:

Thus [tex]U+U\subseteq U[/tex]

Our second step is to prove that every element of U is contained in U + U.

Now let
[tex]v\in U[/tex].

Consider a random vector v in U.

Then as [tex]0\in U[/tex],

[tex]v=(v+0)\in U+U.[/tex]

Thus [tex]U\subseteq U+U[/tex]

Our second goal is here.. And hence:

[tex]\therefore U=U+U[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why the first part proves [tex]U+U\subseteq U[/tex] rather than [tex]U\subseteq U+U[/tex].

Similarly, I don't understand why the second part proves [tex]U\subseteq U+U[/tex] rather than proving [tex]U+U\subseteq U[/tex].

I guess I just don't understand why each part proves 1 direction of the equality by not the other direction.Thanks for any help you can provide.

Are there any more steps that confuse you?

1. What does it mean for a subspace to equal itself plus itself?

When we say U = U + U, we are saying that a subspace U is equal to the combination of U and itself. This may seem confusing, but it simply means that the elements in U are closed under addition and that every element in U can be written as the sum of two elements in U. In other words, U contains all the possible combinations of its own elements.

2. How is this proof different from other proofs about subspaces?

The proof of U = U + U is unique because it utilizes the definition of a subspace, which states that a subspace must be closed under addition. This proof is also important because it shows that the subspace U is its own direct sum, meaning that it does not need any other subspaces to be written as a sum.

3. Is this proof applicable to all types of subspaces?

Yes, this proof is applicable to all types of subspaces, as long as they follow the definition of a subspace. This includes subspaces in vector spaces, linear subspaces, and topological subspaces.

4. Can this proof be used to prove other properties of subspaces?

Yes, this proof can be used to prove other properties of subspaces, such as closure under scalar multiplication and existence of a zero vector. This is because the proof relies on the definition of a subspace, which includes these properties.

5. Why is this proof important in the study of subspaces?

This proof is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of subspaces and their relationship to the larger vector space. It also allows us to make connections between different subspaces and how they can be written as sums of other subspaces. Additionally, this proof is often used as a stepping stone for more advanced concepts in linear algebra and functional analysis.