Confused about time dilation and cosmic speed limit

In summary, the cosmic speed limit, also known as the speed of light, is a fundamental property of the universe that cannot be exceeded. This limit is similar to restrictions in video games to prevent the game from breaking. If an object with matter were to reach the speed of light, it could cause the universe to explode. This limit is also comparable to a computer's processing speed. Some have questioned why the speed limit is the same as the speed of light, and others have suggested a "universal selection" as the reason. However, these are philosophical or religious questions with no definite answer. To properly understand the physics behind the speed limit, it is important to refer to valid sources such as textbooks and peer-reviewed papers. Time dilation, which
Sciencelad2798
[Moderator's note: Thread spun off from previous thread due to topic/forum change.]

Time dilation sounds really weird, can i assume it has a logical explanation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am still confused about the cosmic speed limit. It kinda reminds me of how in video games coders make restrictions on physical aspects as to not break the game. I heard that if an object with matter would go the speed of light, the universe would explode, and I feel like a computer would do the same. I know I'm not well versed in this, but it's all so eerily similar to a video game that I was hoping there was a more logical explanation to this too. Also, why is the speed limit the same as the speed of light? This also reminds me of a coder, the last thing necessary for human life is the fastest you can go, because there's no need to go any faster.

Sources: https://www.space.com/speed-of-light-properties-explained.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...eed-limit-and-it-isnt-the-speed-of-light/amp/

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mo...-light-because-we-have-not-tried-hard-enough/

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Sciencelad2798 said:
...why is the speed limit the same as the speed of light?

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mo...-light-because-we-have-not-tried-hard-enough/

Physics looks to discover the patterns, nuances and ramifications of the laws of nature. Trying to answer the "why" questions is not part of that. We have plenty of unanswered questions about the standard models, and those will keep us occupied for many years to come.

Asking "why" the laws (rules) of physics are as they are is ultimately a philosophical (or religious) exercise which will never have a clear, final answer. If you say God created the universe that way, then you might logically ask why God chose to do it that way and not some other way. Ultimately, it is pure speculation... without any facts or data to support one answer over another. I would not call it science.

Likes EPR
phinds said:
I read some of those posts and had two questions that weren't quite answered in it:

1. The OP mentions that the speed limit is kinda like an invisible hand that just stops things from traveling faster, and that the mass of an object keeps going higher and higher until it just stops. This was kinda my question too, but no one really adressed it there, was hoping you might have an explanation.

2. Someone mentioned its possible the universe "selected" this speed, and I was confused on what this meant

Edit: these two articles kinda confused me too, mostly the part about how the sun we see is 8 minutes behind and how if it "disappeared", we wouldn't know until 8 minutes later. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/physics-speed-light-stop-trapping-particles-inside-crystals-796385?amp=1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...w-do-photons-experience-time/?sh=46a619df278d

Last edited:
Sciencelad2798 said:
these two articles
Are not valid sources for learning the actual physics. You have two threads now in two different forums based on questions prompted by you not reading valid sources. Stop reading pop science articles and start learning physics from textbooks and peer-reviewed papers. For relativity, Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime Physics is an excellent introduction.

Once you have read some actual textbooks or peer-reviewed papers, you are welcome to ask questions if you don't understand things from those sources.

This thread is closed.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object that is moving at a high speed relative to another object. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation relate to the cosmic speed limit?

The cosmic speed limit, also known as the speed of light, is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. Time dilation occurs as an object approaches this speed, causing time to appear to slow down for that object.

3. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation has been observed in experiments involving high-speed particles and in GPS technology. However, the effects are very small and not noticeable in our everyday experiences.

4. Does time dilation only occur at high speeds?

No, time dilation can also occur in the presence of strong gravitational fields. This is known as gravitational time dilation and is also predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. How does time dilation affect our understanding of time?

Time dilation challenges our traditional understanding of time as a fixed and universal concept. It suggests that time is relative and can be experienced differently depending on one's perspective and speed. This has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the nature of reality.