Confused about which forces are external when Newton's Second Law is used

In summary: One the system boundary is defined, then any force that crosses the boundary is an external force, and any force that with its reaction is internal to the system boundary is not an external force. This is where looking for reactions can be very important and the place where d'Alembert's Principle can lead the user astray.
curiousPep
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
So I have a trolley of mass m that moves on a straight line.
A sphere of mass m, is attached on the trolley with a light string of length a and it is left to oscillate.

Just to give some idea of their positions:
r_trolley = xi
r_sphere = (x-asinθ)i - acosθj (θ is the angle between the string and the vertical - j axis)

Are the external forces the weight of the trolley, mass and the reaction betweeen the trolley and the rack/ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome!
Is the sphere oscillating under the trolley?
You determine the limits of the system and which forces are external or internal.
If the system to study is trolley-string-sphere, the weights and the reaction forces are external, while the tension of the string is internal.
If the system is only the trolley, then the string pulls externally from it.

Lnewqban said:
Welcome!
Is the sphere oscillating under the trolley?
You determine the limits of the system and which forces are external or internal.
If the system to study is trolley-string-sphere, the weights and the reaction forces are external, while the tension of the string is internal.
If the system is only the trolley, then the string pulls externally from it.
Yes the sphere is hanging below the trolley.
I see, I have been trying to calcualte the rate of change of angular momentum (torque) using:
##\dot{\vec{h_{a}} + \dot{\vec{r_{a}}x p = Q,####\Q = sum_{n=i}^\n (r_{i} - r_{p}) x F_{i} ,##
PS:sorry for the equations, if someone can fix it , that wouldb ereally helpful (thank you n advance!)

F_i are the external forces of the system.
In the case that I take p as the combined momentum of the trolley and the sphere, does it mean that the exetrnal forces that I consider are the weights and the reaction force of the trolley?

Thank you!

Likes Lnewqban
curiousPep said:
In the case that I take p as the combined momentum of the trolley and the sphere, does it mean that the exetrnal forces that I consider are the weights and the reaction force of the trolley?

Thank you!
Weights and reaction force from the ground, yes. The latter may include a horizontal component.

Likes curiousPep and Lnewqban
We really need a system diagram and a Free Body Diagram (FBD) to see what is happening.

Likes Lnewqban
curiousPep said:
Are the external forces the weight of the trolley, mass and the reaction betweeen the trolley and the rack/ground?
Which forces are external/internal depends on how you define the bodies for analysis. Which definition of bodies is sensible depends on the specific question being asked.

Likes jack action, curiousPep, Lnewqban and 1 other person
By considering the trolley, string and mass, the external forces are the weights and the reaction force but the weight and reaction force for the trolley have no effect in the cross product to callculate Q, since r_a - r_p (p is the centre of mass of trolley) is parallel to the direction of F_i (external forces)

curiousPep said:
By considering the trolley, string and mass, the external forces are the weights and the reaction force but the weight and reaction force for the trolley have no effect in the cross product to callculate Q, since r_a - r_p (p is the centre of mass of trolley) is parallel to the direction of F_i (external forces)
As I mentioned in post #4, the reaction from the ground may have a horizontal component.
What is ##r_a##, and how are you defining Q?

Likes curiousPep
To determine which forces are external requires the definition of a system boundary. Often it is useful to include all parts in the system within the boundary, but this is not always true. The choice of system boundary is a matter of experience, but a good choice makes life much simpler.

One the system boundary is defined, then any force that crosses the boundary is an external force, and any force that with its reaction is internal to the system boundary is not an external force. This is where looking for reactions can be very important and the place where d'Alembert's Principle can lead the user astray.

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do external forces apply to Newton's Second Law?

External forces are forces that act on an object from outside its system. When using Newton's Second Law, only external forces are considered as they are the ones causing the acceleration of the object.

3. What are some examples of external forces?

Examples of external forces include gravity, friction, air resistance, and applied forces such as pushing or pulling an object.

4. How do I determine which forces are external when using Newton's Second Law?

To determine which forces are external, you must first identify the system in question and then identify all the forces acting on the system. Any force that is not internal to the system is considered an external force.

5. Can internal forces affect the acceleration of an object?

No, internal forces do not affect the acceleration of an object. They only cause changes in the object's shape or position, but do not contribute to its overall acceleration as stated by Newton's Second Law.