Confused by the fractions in the parenthesis

In summary, the question is asking what the electric field would be after adding five additional electrons at the origin. The equation used to calculate electric field is E=q/(4pi*Eo*r^2). Superposition is then used to add the new field to the given one.
patm95

Homework Statement

Given: see attachment

Five additional electrons are placed at the origin. What is the electric field now.

Homework Equations

Electric field equations of E=q/(4pi*Eo*r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am wondering if the electric field would just be 50% higher because of adding five electrons. However I am somewhat confused by the fractions in the parenthesis. I know that the electric field is going to be a summation of the charges relative to the distance from a point. I am just unsure how to apply that thought in this case due to my misunderstanding of those fractions in the parenthesis. Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 353
Physics news on Phys.org

If all you had is five electrons at the origin, what would be the electric field vector as a function of r? If you know the answer, then add that field to the given one and you're done. That's how superposition works.

I think I see where u are coming from. So I basically take the 5e/(4pi*ep*r^2) and add it to the original vector?

Yes, add it with unit vector r-hat tacked on it.

The fractions in the parenthesis represent the proportion of the charge (q) to the distance (r) squared. In this case, the equation is used to calculate the electric field at a specific point due to a single charge. Since you are adding five additional electrons at the origin, the total charge at that point will be the sum of the charges of all the electrons. Therefore, the electric field will be higher than before, but it cannot be determined by simply increasing the previous value by 50%. You would need to use the equation to calculate the new electric field at the origin, taking into account the new total charge. If you are still unsure, I recommend seeking further clarification from your instructor or a classmate.

1. What are fractions?

Fractions are a way of representing a part of a whole. They are written as a ratio of two numbers, with the top number (numerator) representing the part and the bottom number (denominator) representing the whole.

2. How do I add or subtract fractions?

To add or subtract fractions, you need to have a common denominator. This means that the bottom numbers of each fraction are the same. Then, you can simply add or subtract the numerators and keep the common denominator.

3. Can I simplify fractions?

Yes, you can simplify fractions by finding the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator, and then dividing both numbers by the GCF. This will give you the simplest form of the fraction.

4. What is the difference between proper and improper fractions?

A proper fraction is when the numerator is smaller than the denominator, meaning the fraction is less than one whole. An improper fraction is when the numerator is equal to or greater than the denominator, meaning the fraction is equal to or greater than one whole.

5. How do I convert fractions to decimals?

To convert a fraction to a decimal, divide the numerator by the denominator. You can also use a calculator to do this. For example, 1/2 is equal to 0.5 when converted to a decimal.