1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused by the fractions in the parenthesis

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given: see attachment

Five additional electrons are placed at the origin. What is the electric field now.

2. Relevant equations

Electric field equations of E=q/(4pi*Eo*r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am wondering if the electric field would just be 50% higher because of adding five electrons. However I am somewhat confused by the fractions in the parenthesis. I know that the electric field is going to be a summation of the charges relative to the distance from a point. I am just unsure how to apply that thought in this case due to my misunderstanding of those fractions in the parenthesis. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Electrostatics

If all you had is five electrons at the origin, what would be the electric field vector as a function of r? If you know the answer, then add that field to the given one and you're done. That's how superposition works.

4. Aug 26, 2010 #3

I think I see where u are coming from. So I basically take the 5e/(4pi*ep*r^2) and add it to the original vector?

5. Aug 26, 2010 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, add it with unit vector r-hat tacked on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook