Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Confused by the fractions in the parenthesis

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given: see attachment

Five additional electrons are placed at the origin. What is the electric field now.

2. Relevant equations

Electric field equations of E=q/(4pi*Eo*r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am wondering if the electric field would just be 50% higher because of adding five electrons. However I am somewhat confused by the fractions in the parenthesis. I know that the electric field is going to be a summation of the charges relative to the distance from a point. I am just unsure how to apply that thought in this case due to my misunderstanding of those fractions in the parenthesis. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Electrostatics

If all you had is five electrons at the origin, what would be the electric field vector as a function of r? If you know the answer, then add that field to the given one and you're done. That's how superposition works.

4. Aug 26, 2010 #3

I think I see where u are coming from. So I basically take the 5e/(4pi*ep*r^2) and add it to the original vector?

5. Aug 26, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, add it with unit vector r-hat tacked on it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook