1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused in acceleration and velocity

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    I am extremely confused in Acceleration and velocity plz explain in detail with example

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2
    Can you be more specified what you dont understand or you dont understand anything of this at all ?

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3
    now i have understood something but still need u

if
    v0 = 10
    v1 = 2

t0 = 1
    t1 = 1

so
    a = 8

am i right?

5. Mar 3, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

what level are you in school? Do you understand calculus?

6. Mar 3, 2015 #5
    dear phinds
    I am a student of arts but for some years science has been taken place in my heart thts why i want to study it as much as possible

u can better explain me what is calculus

7. Mar 3, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Irrelevant. If you don't even know what it IS then you certainly won't understand explanations that use it.

Suffice it to say, velocity is the rate of change of position and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

I don't follow what you did in post #3, but to the extent I do understand it, it does not make sense. If I'm reading it properly, you have two different velocities at the same time, which is not possible, and you have incorrectly taken that acceleration is just the difference in the two velocities.

8. Mar 3, 2015 #7
    no in this post there are not two different velocities i meant to say

v0 = starting velocity means the velocity of car at start

v1 = ending velocity means the velocity of car in the end

9. Mar 3, 2015 #8
    rate of velocity

10. Mar 3, 2015 #9
    I think for you it would be best to use this book "Fundamentals of physics, 8th edition"' from Jearl Walker. First study with understanding and after that solve tasks.

11. Mar 3, 2015 #10
    I think i hav understood acceleration and velocity but i have one question in f = m.a what is the relation between m and a actually i want little bit theoretical explaination

12. Mar 3, 2015 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

BUT ... you have t0=1 and t1=1. That means your v0 and your v1 are both at the same time, "1".

13. Mar 3, 2015 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to do a systematic study of basic physics. This kind of hit-and-miss question-and-answer on an internet forum is not a good way to learn the basics.

14. Mar 3, 2015 #13

you know better than me but i meant to say

a = v0 - v1/t0 - t1

acceleration = rate of velocity / difference of time

15. Mar 3, 2015 #14

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

since you have t0 = t1 = 1, this would result in division by zero. You really aren't getting anywhere with this. Get a book.

16. Mar 3, 2015 #15
    oh i am getting it it means that t will be zero and a = 8 if u check my tht post am i right now

17. Mar 3, 2015 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, you are not getting it. Get a book. We could walk you through this, but I say again, this kind of internet forum Q&A is not a good way to learn the basics. Get a book.

18. Mar 3, 2015 #17

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps we could see you complete this example, so that at least you are given a start.

First, you should observe that in science everything has units, and specifying units is just as important as providing its numeric value. You didn't indicate units.

As phinds pointed out, you have t1 and t0 both set to 1. If this is a mistake, please provide the correction.

Also, the equation you use to calculate the value of 'a' is wrong unless you give it some brackets (aka parentheses), so can you rewrite it correctly with some brackets?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  19. Mar 3, 2015 #18
    yes you all seniors have succeeded to make me understand the problem which i was doing wid tym let suppose

t0 = 1min
    t1 = 10min

v0 = 10 to east
    v1 = 100

1 - 10 / 10 - 100 = -9/-90

a = 10
    am i right but i want the proper written form

20. Mar 3, 2015 #19

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

That's an improvement, BUT ....
    you haven't taken on board what I pointed out about the need for parentheses when calculating 'a'
    AND you have still written some numbers without providing the units. All quantities here must have units.

'a' also will have units

21. Mar 3, 2015 #20
    HELLO,
    i don't want to encourage you by this reply.what the others are saying is true-get a book.also first get a good hold on newtons laws if u really have interest in this
    in the formula f=m.a
    f-force
    m-mass of an object
    a-acceleration of the object due to the applied force
    Mass is the fundamental property of matter.better said-every substance in surroundings has it.When a force is applied on any object it develops a tendency to move technically defined as acceleration.basically
    acceleration experienced is directly proportional to the force applied and mass is just a proportionality constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook