Confused on amperes in primary & secondary circuits

In summary: Remember that the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils are inversely proportional to the voltages and directly proportional to the currents, so using the equations v2/v1=n2/n1 and Ip/Is=Ns/Np will give you the correct solutions for each part.
kriegera

Homework Statement

A transformer has 500 turns in its primary coil and 4000 turns in its secondary. (a) What will be the voltage in the secondary if the primary voltage is 110? (b) If 5 amperes flow through the secondary circuit of the transformer, what will the current in the primary be? (c) If there are 8 amperes in the secondary, how many are there in the primary?

I'm a little confused on whether I'm inverting the equation correctly on parts b and c - can someone let me know if this is the formula they use?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v2/v1=n2/n1 So V2/110=4000/500 = 880V

b.)Ip/Is=Ns/Np = Ip/5 = 4000/500 = 40 A

c.)Ip/Is=Ns/Np = Ip/8 = 4000/500 = 64 A

Physics news on Phys.org
kriegera said:

Homework Statement

A transformer has 500 turns in its primary coil and 4000 turns in its secondary. (a) What will be the voltage in the secondary if the primary voltage is 110? (b) If 5 amperes flow through the secondary circuit of the transformer, what will the current in the primary be? (c) If there are 8 amperes in the secondary, how many are there in the primary?

I'm a little confused on whether I'm inverting the equation correctly on parts b and c - can someone let me know if this is the formula they use?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v2/v1=n2/n1 So V2/110=4000/500 = 880V

b.)Ip/Is=Ns/Np = Ip/5 = 4000/500 = 40 A

c.)Ip/Is=Ns/Np = Ip/8 = 4000/500 = 64 A

Looks correct to me.

1. What is the difference between primary and secondary circuits?

The primary circuit is the circuit that connects the power source (e.g. battery) to the transformer, while the secondary circuit is the circuit that connects the transformer to the load (e.g. light bulb). The primary circuit typically has a higher voltage and lower current, while the secondary circuit has a lower voltage and higher current.

2. Why is it important to understand amperes in primary and secondary circuits?

Amperes, or current, is an important factor in determining the performance and safety of a circuit. Understanding the amperes in primary and secondary circuits can help prevent overloading and damage to the circuit, as well as ensure that the correct amount of current is reaching the load.

3. How are amperes measured in primary and secondary circuits?

In both primary and secondary circuits, amperes are measured using an ammeter. The ammeter is connected in series with the circuit and measures the amount of current flowing through the circuit. In order to measure the amperes in a circuit, the circuit must be closed and a complete path for the current to flow must be established.

4. What happens if there is too much or too little current in a primary or secondary circuit?

If there is too much current in a primary or secondary circuit, it can lead to overheating and potentially damage the components of the circuit. On the other hand, if there is too little current, the circuit may not function properly or the load may not receive enough power to operate. It is important to maintain a balanced and appropriate amount of current in both primary and secondary circuits.

5. Can the amperes in primary and secondary circuits be adjusted?

Yes, the amperes in primary and secondary circuits can be adjusted by changing the resistance in the circuit. This can be done by adding or removing components or using devices such as resistors. Altering the resistance in a circuit can affect the amount of current flowing and therefore adjust the amperes in the circuit.