1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on simple differential equation

1. Aug 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the values of m so that ##y = x^m## is a solution of ##x^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} - 3x\frac{dy}{dx} -12y = 0##

2. Relevant equations
    ##y = x^m##
    ##y'=mx^{m-1}##
    ##y''=(m^2-m)x^{m-2}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    So after plugging and chugging we get

$$(m+2)(m-6)x^m = 0 $$

Henceforth m = -2 or m = 6.

All well and good but why don't we look at the case when x = 0. Then the domain of m would be ##(-\infty, 0) \cup (0, \infty)## right?

The question doesn't state we're looking for m's for any possible x, so this seems correct to me. Is it just assumed that is the case? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2016 #2
    The problem required to find the value of ##m## such that ##y=x^m## is the solution, so I think your ##m## has to make all the ##x## and ##y## fit the equation.
    Besides, ##x## varies and what is given is a function. I think ##x=0## just meets a special case. (my opinion)

4. Aug 30, 2016 #3
    I agree but I put when X = 0 m equaled the above ... when ##X \neq 0## m = -2 or m =6 and got points deducted with a red mark through the when X = 0 part???? Wondering if something about above is wrong or if I need to go to professor and seek clarification for deduction.

5. Aug 30, 2016 #4
    Ummm... Then I think his viewpoints are that the value ##m\in \mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\}## cannot make all the ##x## fit the equation, in which case we cannot say ##y=x^m## is a solution to the ODE.

6. Aug 30, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The goal of the exercise is to find a function y = xm that satisfies the DE. As your work shows, two possible functions are y = x-2 and y = x6.

When you substitute the equations ##y = x^m##, ##y' = mx^{m - 1}## and ##y'' = m(m - 1)x^{m - 2}## into the original diff. equation, you get ##(m + 2)(m - 6)x^m = 0##. This equation has to be true for all real x, or at least all x values in the domains of the solutions, not just for a specific x value of 0. For this reason, you don't consider the possibility that xm = 0.

7. Aug 30, 2016 #6
    Got you. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted