Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing result about the spectrum of compact operators

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    I have been posting on here pretty frequently; please forgive me. I have an exam coming up in functional analysis in a little over a week, and my professor is (conveniently) out of town.

We proved in our class notes that if [itex]T:X\to X[/itex] is a compact operator defined on a Banach space [itex]X[/itex], [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex], and [itex]\lambda \in \sigma_p(T)[/itex] (the point spectrum; i.e., the set of eigenvalues of [itex]T[/itex]), then the range [itex]\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = \mathcal R(T-\lambda) \neq X[/itex]. The argument given to support this conclusion is complicated and relies (among other things) on the Riesz lemma, so I won't reproduce it, unless I'm asked to do so.

However, in the very next theorem, we show that if [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex] and [itex]\lambda \in \sigma(T)[/itex], then [itex]\lambda \in \sigma_p(T)[/itex]. The argument is broken down into cases: either [itex]\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = X[/itex] or [itex]\mathcal R(T_\lambda) \neq X[/itex]. The [itex]\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = X[/itex] case is presented as follows: If [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex] and [itex]\lambda \in \sigma(T)[/itex] but [itex]\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = X[/itex], then [itex](T-\lambda)^{-1} = T_\lambda^{-1}[/itex] cannot exist (otherwise we would have [itex]\lambda \in \rho(T)[/itex]), so we must have [itex]\ker T_\lambda \neq \{ 0 \}[/itex]; hence [itex]\lambda \in \sigma_p(T)[/itex], since we then have [itex]x \neq 0[/itex] that satisfies [itex]T_\lambda x = (T-\lambda)x = 0[/itex].

Here is my question: This argument makes sense, but doesn't the contrapositive of the first theorem I mentioned give [itex](\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = X) \Rightarrow (\lambda \notin \sigma_p(T))[/itex] if [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex]? Is there a subtle point in the logic I'm missing, or is the argument given somehow unsound?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is true. So together with that "very next theorem" implies that there are no [itex]\lambda\neq 0[/itex] such that [itex]\mathcal{R}(T_\lambda)=X[/itex]. But you do not know that a priori.

So you have here a very curious phenomenon. The theorem implies that all [itex]\lambda\neq 0[/itex] such that [itex]\mathcal{R}(T_\lambda)=X[/itex] will belong to the point spectrum. But this will means that there are no such [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook