Dot product constrained optimization

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that involves fixing a vector and finding the maximum of a function subject to a constraint. The Lagrange multiplier method is suggested as a possible approach, but the simplicity of the problem makes it unnecessary. However, two different approaches are presented and it is noted that the simple solution is incorrect. The correct solution involves setting the vector x parallel and in the same direction as a to maximize the function.
thecage411
Problem:

Fix some vector ##\vec{a} \in R^n \setminus \vec{0}## and define ##f( \vec{x} ) = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{x}##. Give an expression for the maximum of ##f(\vec{x})## subject to ##||\vec{x}||_2 = 1##.

My work:

Seems like a lagrange multiplier problem.

I have ##\mathcal{L}(\vec{x},\lambda) = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{x} - \lambda(||x||_2 - 1)##

Then ##D_{xi} \mathcal{L}(\vec{x},\lambda) = a_i - 1/2\lambda(\vec{x} \cdot \vec{x})^{-1/2}2x_i = a_i - \lambda x_i/||x|| = 0##. Solving for ##x_i## yields ##x_i = a_i||x||/\lambda##
Also ##D_{\lambda} \mathcal{L}(\vec{x},\lambda) = -||x|| + 1 = 0,## so ||x|| = 1.
Plugging that into the above expression I get ##x_i=ai/\lambda##.

But this answer doesn't make sense to me. For one, lambda should fall out, right? Also, just thinking about it -- wouldn't we want to set ##x_i = 1## for the max ##a_i## and have all ##j\neq i, x_j = 0##, because any deviation from that would be smaller?

Physics news on Phys.org
thecage411 said:
Seems like a lagrange multiplier problem.
I think that is like killing a fly with a cannon ball, as we say. (The problem does not require such a heavy tool for its solution.)

That's fair -- I gave an argument at the end not using the lagrange multiplier. I guess my question is -- why aren't those two approaches matching up?

thecage411 said:
That's fair -- I gave an argument at the end not using the lagrange multiplier. I guess my question is -- why aren't those two approaches matching up?
The simple (second) answer is wrong. [itex]x\cdot a[/itex] is maximum, for fixed length x, when x is parallel and in the same direction as a.

1. What is dot product constrained optimization?

Dot product constrained optimization is a type of mathematical optimization where the objective function is constrained by a dot product equality or inequality. This means that the decision variables must satisfy a specific relationship with each other, represented by the dot product operation.

2. How is the dot product used in this type of optimization?

The dot product is used to mathematically represent the constraint in the objective function. It is a mathematical operation that calculates the cosine of the angle between two vectors, and it is used to determine if the decision variables satisfy the constraint or not.

3. What are some applications of dot product constrained optimization?

Dot product constrained optimization has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to optimize the allocation of resources, design efficient structures, and solve complex mathematical models.

4. What are the benefits of using dot product constrained optimization?

One of the main benefits of using dot product constrained optimization is its ability to handle non-linear relationships between variables. It also allows for more flexibility in the constraints and can lead to more efficient and accurate solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to dot product constrained optimization?

One limitation of this type of optimization is that it requires a specific form of constraints, namely dot product equalities or inequalities. This may not always be feasible or applicable in certain problem scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions highly depends on the quality of the input data and the chosen objective function.