Confusing the Two Sections: How Does Magnetism Work?

In summary: If they are embedded in marbles, they will always rotate so that the north poles are next to each other.
Abood
Homework Statement
You have three marbles, A, B, and C, that look identical. Each of them contains either a magnet or piece of iron. You have observed that A sticks to B, but B does not stick to C.
i) Could all three contain iron?
ii) Could all three contain magnets?
iii) Which of them contain magnets? Which contain iron?
Relevant Equations
Conceptual question so there are no relevant equations
I noticed that I posted this question on the wrong section previously by accident and I don't know how to delete it... Sorry for confusing the two sections======
Given:
- A sticks to B
- B doesn't stick to C

My solution:
As A sticks to B, one must be a magnet and the other iron.
As B doesn't stick to C, they must be of the same type (either both magnets or both iron).

As A sticks to B, it implies that it moves to it and makes me think A is made of iron and B magnet.
But the vagueness of B & C is confusing, it could either imply that they repel each other (in that case they are both magnets and have the same pole facing each other) or they are both iron and thus have no attraction to each other but would make the first statement false.

As iron is a soft magnet, it will easily become magnetized and demagnetized but the wording of the question makes me keep questioning my thought process as I feel like I misinterpreted something and would render my answer incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as we know, magnets are always dipoles (a N and a S pole).
So what will happen if you put two spherical magnets near each other?

Abood said:
As B doesn't stick to C, they must be of the same type (either both magnets or both iron).
Can two magnets stick to one another?

jbriggs444 said:
Can two magnets stick to one another?
If the two magnets were facing each other with opposite poles, they will be attracted to each other and stick.
I assumed since B and C don't stick they must be of the same type

Merlin3189 said:
As far as we know, magnets are always dipoles (a N and a S pole).
So what will happen if you put two spherical magnets near each other?
I believe that if they have identical poles facing each other, they will repel (N and N or S and S)

Abood said:
If the two magnets were facing each other with opposite poles, they will be attracted to each other and stick.
I assumed since B and C don't stick they must be of the same type
Possibly you have never played with magnets.

If you put two magnets next to each other, they will rotate so that opposite pole mates with opposite pole. They will then attract. Which means that two magnets placed next to each other will always attract. [You have to prevent rotation in order to get repulsion]

Likes Abood
jbriggs444 said:
Possibly you have never played with magnets.

If you put two magnets next to each other, they will rotate so that opposite pole mates with opposite pole. They will then attract. Which means that two magnets placed next to each other will always attract. [You have to prevent rotation in order to get repulsion]
My bad... whenever I remember when I played with magnets I always remember trying to force 2 identical poles to touch. Thank you very much for the explanation!

I think I understood the question now
Since B and C don't attract, they must both be neutral (i.e iron) and that leaves A to be the magnet

Likes jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
If you put two magnets next to each other, they will rotate so that opposite pole mates with opposite pole.

Particularly if they are embedded in marbles!

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a fundamental force of nature that causes certain materials to attract or repel each other. It is caused by the movement of electrons within atoms and is responsible for many phenomena, such as the Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of magnets.

2. How does magnetism work?

Magnetism works by the alignment of the magnetic fields of particles. In materials with magnetic properties, the electrons are arranged in such a way that their magnetic fields all point in the same direction, creating a net magnetic field. This field then interacts with other magnetic fields, either attracting or repelling them.

3. What is the difference between magnetism and electricity?

While both magnetism and electricity are related to the movement of electrons, they are fundamentally different forces. Electricity is the flow of electric charge, while magnetism is the alignment of magnetic fields. However, they are closely related and can interact with each other, as seen in electromagnetism.

4. How do magnets attract and repel each other?

Magnets attract and repel each other based on the alignment of their magnetic fields. Opposite poles (north and south) attract each other, while like poles (north and north or south and south) repel each other. This is due to the interaction of the magnetic fields and their tendency to align in opposite directions.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has many practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and magnetic storage devices (such as hard drives). It is also used in compasses for navigation and in particle accelerators for scientific research. Additionally, magnetism is used in everyday objects like speakers, credit cards, and refrigerator magnets.