Confusion about Electro-motive force (EMF)

In summary, the definitions of electromotive force of a cell state that it is the potential difference between the terminals of the cell when no current is drawn, and the energy spent per unit charge in completing a circuit around the cell. Definition 1 clarifies that this potential difference is obtained by moving a small charge inside the cell, while definition 2 includes both the external and internal parts of the circuit. However, the actual work done may differ depending on the source of the potential difference.
donaldparida
The definitions of electromotive force of a cell that i have read include:

1.When no current is drawn from a cell,i.e., when the cell is in open circuit, then potential difference between the terminals of the cell is its electromotive force.

2.The electromotive force of a cell is defined as the energy spent or the work done per unit charge in taking a positive charge around the complete circuit of the cell i.e., in the circuit outside the cell as well as in the electrolyte inside the cell.

I do not understand what definition 1 means. I think it is probably refers to the work done in moving the charge inside the cell since in the definition it is said that the circuit is open but then its meaning does not match with definition 2.
My question is, what is the actual meaning of definition 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
donaldparida said:
My question is, what is the actual meaning of definition 1?

It means that the work done on an infinitesimally small charge q will be Vq, where V is the PD across the terminals. Same definition (Joules per Coulomb) but for a vanishingly small Charge. The Energy dissipated due to any internal resistance will be q(squared) r. This gets smaller faster than qV so it is less and less significant.

Here does pd across the terminal refer to the work done in moving the charge inside the cell or outside the cell.

donaldparida said:
Here does pd across the terminal refer to the work done in moving the charge inside the cell or outside the cell.
However it's done will involve the same work done 'on' the charge. The PD can be the result of action between two chemicals or the result of the cell being 'charged' from an external source - or the cell could be a capacitor. You have to be careful to remember this is the work done on the charge and not the actual work done to get it there.

1. What is electro-motive force (EMF)?

Electro-motive force, or EMF, is the measurement of the energy that drives an electric current. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. What causes confusion about EMF?

Confusion about EMF can stem from the fact that it is often used interchangeably with voltage, which can lead to a misunderstanding of its true meaning. Additionally, EMF can be affected by various factors, such as resistance and current, which can make it difficult to accurately measure.

3. How is EMF different from current?

While EMF is the driving force behind an electric current, current is the actual flow of electric charge. In other words, EMF is the potential energy that causes the current to flow.

4. What are some common sources of EMF?

EMF can be generated by various sources, including batteries, power plants, and electrical circuits. It can also be induced by changing magnetic fields, such as those produced by transformers.

5. How is EMF measured?

EMF is typically measured using a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit. This measurement can provide valuable information about the strength and direction of the EMF.