Definition of Electro Motive Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over a definition in a textbook, specifically regarding the concept of E.M.F. The individual is preparing for an exam and needs clarification on the definition. The conversation also includes a question about how to make quotes and the importance of including a source in a definition.
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The title.
I am confused with the definition as my textbook does not have a good definition for this.
P.S I have my exams tomorrow so I can't ask my teacher now.(Mid night)

Homework Equations

$$V=\frac{E}{Q}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

E.M.F is the energy given to each coulomb of charge by the electric source of the circuit.

Here's are the marking points for the answers(From the marking scheme of an exam paper)
"" Marking point 1:Work done per (unit) charge/coulomb/C or energy transformed per (unit) charge/coulomb/C;
Marking point 2: Property of a source(Of electricity) or energy transformed to electrical energy per (unit) charge/coulomb/C;"

Doesn't the two points say the same thing? Is my definition correct for getting two marks? Can you suggest a better definition?

(How do I make quotes? :oops:)

Physics news on Phys.org
The second introduces a source, which I would not consider as necessary for the definition. "Define X" is always problematic to grade.

You can make quotes manually by surrounding the quoted text with tags:
[quote]Text[/quote] ->
Text

There are also some ways you can quote posts here (the buttons "quote" and "reply" in every post are the most obvious ones).

Likes adjacent

1. What is the definition of electro motive force?

Electro motive force, or EMF, is the measurement of the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is the force that causes electrons to flow from one point to another, and it is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electro motive force different from voltage?

Electro motive force and voltage are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. EMF refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while voltage refers to the potential difference between any two points in a circuit, including the source and the load. In other words, EMF is the voltage generated by a source, while voltage is the difference in potential between any two points in a circuit.

3. What are some common sources of electro motive force?

Some common sources of electro motive force include batteries, generators, and solar cells. These sources convert various forms of energy, such as chemical, mechanical, or light energy, into electrical energy, which can then be used to power devices or systems.

4. How is electro motive force related to current and resistance?

According to Ohm's law, the current (I) in a circuit is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). Therefore, the greater the EMF, the greater the potential for current to flow in a circuit. Similarly, a higher resistance will decrease the current flow in a circuit with a given EMF.

5. Can electro motive force be negative?

Yes, electro motive force can be negative. This can occur when the direction of the electric current is opposite to the direction of the EMF, resulting in a negative value. It can also be caused by a decrease in voltage from the source to the load, which can result in a negative potential difference between the two points.