Confusion in centre of gravity and centre of mass differentiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of center of mass and center of gravity in non-uniform gravitational fields. The problem at hand involves finding the correct answer for a rod on the Earth's surface, and the conversation also touches on the phenomenon of tidal locking and its relation to the centers of mass and gravity in the Earth-Moon system. There is some disagreement about the definitions and meanings of center of mass and center of gravity.
coldblood
Hi friends,
I have [COLOR="Hi friends,
I have an issue in solving a [COLOR="Blue"]Kinetic energy problem during collision[/COLOR].
Please Help me in solving this.
Thank you all in advance.

The problem is as:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/q71/s720x720/1380301_1432382870322152_49372184_n.jpg

Attempt:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q79/s720x720/1385129_1432380796989026_538254057_n.jpg

Please try to help me in this.
I will appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did they say the correct answer was?
I'd have interpreted it the same as you.

However, if the big circle on the diagram represents the Earth, then the mass of the Earth must be included in the estimate ... leading to R/2 as the best answer.

I think you are supposed to take the rod as lying on a radius of the Earth. The net gravitational force on the two mass system does not necessarily pass through the c.o.m. However, c.o.g. is not a well-defined concept. In principle, any point on the line of action of the net gravitational force will do. In the present case, you can take it to be the point where that line intersects the rod.
EDIT: Maybe you can define the c.o.g. as a point where the object would experience exactly the same force if all its mass were concentrated there. But... I'm not sure such a point necessarily exists. It must exist in the present case since it's just a matter of finding the point on the rod where the force would have the right magnitude.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
I think you are supposed to take the rod as lying on a radius of the Earth. The net gravitational force on the two mass system does not necessarily pass through the c.o.m. However, c.o.g. is not a well-defined concept. In principle, any point on the line of action of the net gravitational force will do. In the present case, you can take it to be the point where that line intersects the rod.
EDIT: Maybe you can define the c.o.g. as a point where the object would experience exactly the same force if all its mass were concentrated there. But... I'm not sure such a point necessarily exists. It must exist in the present case since it's just a matter of finding the point on the rod where the force would have the right magnitude.

Is there any case where we can define COM and COG as different points.
Some where I read that moon revolves round Earth in 28 days and about its own axis in 28 days also. And from any point on the surface of Earth we can see only same face of the moon ever. Its happens because the COM and COG of Earth - moon system do not co - inside with each other.
How I can explain this?

coldblood said:
Is there any case where we can define COM and COG as different points.
Yes. Your long rod with two point masses. Orient the rod vertically, with one end on the surface of the Earth and the other end one Earth radius above the surface. The total gravitational force on the system is GMm/R2+GMm/(2R)2 = (5/4)GMm/R2. Suppose you replace those two masses with a single point mass with mass 2m and attach that single point mass on the place on the rod such that the gravitational force on the rod+point mass system is (5/4)GMm/R2. That point is at √(8/5) R from the center of the Earth, or a bit over 1/4 the way up the rod. That's the center of gravity of the vertically oriented rod + two point masses system. Compare with the center of mass of this system, which is obviously halfway up the rod.

Some where I read that moon revolves round Earth in 28 days and about its own axis in 28 days also. And from any point on the surface of Earth we can see only same face of the moon ever. Its happens because the COM and COG of Earth - moon system do not co - inside with each other.
How I can explain this?
The first two sentences are true. That it happens because the COM and COG of the Earth-Moon system do not coincide with one another is nonsense. The phenomenon that is responsible for this is tidal locking.

D H said:
... That it happens because the COM and COG of the Earth-Moon system do not coincide with one another is nonsense. The phenomenon that is responsible for this is tidal locking.
Umm.. are you sure they are not the same thing? Tidal locking would not occur in a uniform field, right?

What does the "COG of the Earth-Moon system" even mean? Center of gravity has, as far as I know, three different meanings:
  • A synonym for center of mass.
  • The point about which, regardless of orientation, a rigid body experiences no torque due to some external gravitational field.
  • The point about which a point mass experiences the same gravitational force due to some external gravitational field as does the object in question.

D H said:
What does the "COG of the Earth-Moon system" even mean? Center of gravity has, as far as I know, three different meanings:
  • A synonym for center of mass.
  • The point about which, regardless of orientation, a rigid body experiences no torque due to some external gravitational field.
  • The point about which a point mass experiences the same gravitational force due to some external gravitational field as does the object in question.
Sorry, I didn't read the post you were objecting to carefully enough. I read what I expected to see: that it's because the Moon's COM and COG do not coincide in Earth's field. That could be a sensible explanation, but I haven't checked it.

1. What is the difference between centre of gravity and centre of mass?

The centre of gravity and centre of mass are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. The centre of gravity refers to the point where the total weight of an object can be considered to act. On the other hand, the centre of mass is the point where the total mass of an object is concentrated. In most cases, the centre of gravity and centre of mass are at the same point, but there are some cases where they may differ due to the distribution of mass in an object.

2. How are centre of gravity and centre of mass calculated?

The centre of gravity and centre of mass can be calculated through mathematical formulas. The centre of gravity can be found by taking the sum of the products of the masses and their distances from a reference point, divided by the total mass. The centre of mass can be calculated by taking the sum of the products of the masses and their coordinates, divided by the total mass.

3. Why is it important to differentiate between centre of gravity and centre of mass?

Differentiating between centre of gravity and centre of mass is important because they have different implications in physics and engineering. The centre of gravity is used to determine the stability and balance of an object, while the centre of mass is used in calculations related to motion and rotation. In some cases, it may also be necessary to consider both the centre of gravity and centre of mass to accurately analyze the behavior of an object.

4. Can the centre of gravity and centre of mass change?

Yes, the centre of gravity and centre of mass can change depending on the position and distribution of mass in an object. For example, if an object is tilted, its centre of gravity will shift towards the lower end. Similarly, if an object is made of different materials with varying densities, its centre of mass may also change. However, for most objects, the centre of gravity and centre of mass remain relatively constant.

5. How can confusion in understanding centre of gravity and centre of mass be avoided?

To avoid confusion, it is important to have a clear understanding of the concepts and their differences. Additionally, it is crucial to use the correct terminology and units when discussing centre of gravity and centre of mass. It may also be helpful to use visual aids, such as diagrams or models, to better understand these concepts in practical applications.