Confusion on a simple integration

In summary, the conversation discussed the integral of dx/(x^2 + a^2) ^{1/2}, where a is a constant. If a = 0, the integral simplifies to log(x + x) = log(2x) or log(x - x) = log(0), depending on the value of x. However, the integral is only valid for a > 0 according to Wikipedia's list of integrals. It was also mentioned that log(2x) and log(x) differ only by a constant of integration.
rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Confused on integrating ## \int dx/(x^2 + a^2)^(1/2)##
The tables and Wolfram Alpha say
## \int dx/(x^2 + a^2) ^{1/2} = log~ [( x^2 + a^2)^{1/2} + x] ##.

So if a=0 we get as answer
## log (x + x) = log( 2x) ## if ## (x^2)^{1/2} = x, or
## log (x - x) = log( 0) ## if ## (x^2)^{1/2} = -x

but surely ## \int dx/(x^2)^0.5 = \int dx/x = log x ## ?

Only 2 roots of ##x^2 ## right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My list of integrals (Wikipedia) allows this formula only for ##a>0##.

log(2x) = log(2) + log(x), so log(2x) and log(x) differ only by a constant of integration.

phyzguy said:
log(2x) = log(2) + log(x), so log(2x) and log(x) differ only by a constant of integration.
Thank you a lot phyzguy! Could have driven me batty who knows for how long!

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve. It involves finding the antiderivative of a function, which is the function that when differentiated, gives the original function.

2. What is the purpose of integration?

The main purpose of integration is to calculate the area under a curve, which can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems. It is also used to find the volume of irregular shapes and to solve differential equations.

3. How is integration different from differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. While differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, integration finds the original function from its rate of change. Integration is the opposite of differentiation in terms of operations and notation.

4. What are the different methods of integration?

There are several methods of integration, including substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. Each method is used to solve different types of integrals and requires different techniques.

5. How can I improve my understanding of integration?

To improve your understanding of integration, it is important to practice solving different types of integrals and to understand the underlying concepts and principles. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend a workshop to deepen your understanding of integration.