1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion on Farad calculation

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Please apologize the ignorant question, but I am confused on applying the discharge capacity of a capacitor.

If Farads = Coulombs/Volt, then a hypothetical 1 Farad capacitor could generate 1 volt at 1 amp for one second. But by the same formula, a .00005 Farad capacitor could generate 20,000 volts at 1 amp for one second.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your patience!
    Jerry

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2012 #2
    jerbeast,
    You have it correct, but your wording is a little unusual. See if this version makes more sense to you...

Starting with uncharged capacitor:

If I pump 1A of current for 1 sec into a 1F capacitor, its voltage will be pumped up to 1V.

If I pump 1A of current for 1 sec into a .00005F capacitor, its voltage will be pumped up to 20,000v.

4. Jun 1, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi jerbeast! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

Q = C·V

There is no mention of current or time in that equation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jun 1, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

That's a good way of looking at it. Perhaps OP could instead consider two capacitors that start off already charged. To nominate a figure, let's imagine each is pre-charged to 40kV.

Now, if you draw 1A for 1 sec from the 1F capacitor, its plate voltage will fall by just 1V, and the capacitor will still be almost fully charged, at 39,999V.
    If you draw 1A for 1 sec from the .00005F capacitor, its voltage will fall by 20kV. So that capacitor will as a result become half discharged.

6. Jun 1, 2012 #5
    Thanks for the quick responses. That helped considerably.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook