Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion regarding delta definition of limit

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    I don't quite get the significance of the delta limit definition,

if n>N and |sn−s|< ϵ , why does the limit converges

does this simply means that there exist a number ε such that if n is great enough it will be greater than s by ε?

But this doesn't make sense, because s is the value the sequence converges to, so sncannot be greater than s

what confuses me even more is that (-1)n is a diverging sequence but
    it satisfies |sn-s| < ε for ε>1

Can someone clarify this concept, thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, first of all you need to state the full definition: for EVERY ##\epsilon > 0## (no matter how small), there exists some ##N## such that ##|s_n - s| < \epsilon## for every ##n > N##. In general, choosing a smaller ##\epsilon## means that the required ##N## will be larger.

Note that ##|s_n - s| < \epsilon## means exactly that ##-\epsilon < s_n - s < \epsilon## or equivalently ##s - \epsilon < s_n < s + \epsilon##. So convergence means that no matter how small an ##\epsilon## I choose, it's possible to find an ##N## such that ##s_n## will be contained within the interval ##(s-\epsilon, s+\epsilon)## for all ##n > N##.

You didn't mention what ##s## is in this case. But note that it's not enough for the inequality to be true for ##\epsilon > 1##. It has to be possible to make it true for any ##\epsilon > 0##, no matter how small. To see that this is impossible, take ##\epsilon = 1/2## for example, and show that there can't be any ##s## that works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook