Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Definition of the limit of a sequence

1. Jul 27, 2016 #1

Math_QED

Homework Helper

The definition of a limit of a sequence,
    if the limit is finite, is:

lim n >infinity un (un is a sequence) = l

<=>

∀ε> 0, ∃N: n > N => |un - l| < ε

This just means that un for n > N has to be a number for which: l -ε < un < l + ε

Now, I'm wondering, can't we just say:

n > N => |un -l| < kε with k a real number larger than zero?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What for? There is no mathematical difference between ##ε## and ##kε## for a constant ##k##. Why do you want to complicate something without need that often is hard to understand to newbies anyway.

4. Jul 28, 2016 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I disagree that it is without need. You often see in mathematical derivations that something is ##<3\varepsilon## and that that's good enough. Such proofs are even known as ##3\varepsilon##-proofs. I do agree that what's in the OP shouldn't be the standard definition as it already is hard enough. But it should be made much more clearer in analysis books that ##<k\varepsilon## is good enough.

5. Jul 28, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When people are learning limits often a lot of complexity comes about for the case where ##\epsilon## is not small. Also, sometimes it complicates things to get the ##< \epsilon## in the definition and it's simpler to get ##\le \epsilon##. I always thought a better (equivalent) definition would be.

##\exists \epsilon_0 > 0: \forall \epsilon \in (0, \epsilon_0), \exists N: n > N \Rightarrow |u_n - L| \le \epsilon##

In fact, as I don't have to sit exams, this is the one I use!

You could, if you wanted to, add your ##k##:

##\exists k, \ \epsilon_0 > 0: \forall \epsilon \in (0, \epsilon_0), \exists N: n > N \Rightarrow |u_n - L| \le k\epsilon##

6. Jul 28, 2016 #5

fresh_42

I learned the notation ##\forall \epsilon \exists N(\epsilon)## or ##\forall \epsilon \exists N_\epsilon## so there has never been a doubt that a the find of ##N## depends on the choice of ##\epsilon## and a constant factor can easily be transformed into ##N_\epsilon##.

I find an additional "variable" in the definition would only cause more difficulties, such as to think the small sized ##\epsilon## could be blown up beyond any natural number. Although still correct, it's not helpful. (IMO, but I don't want hell to break lose ...:wink:)

7. Jul 28, 2016 #6

fresh_42

I agree, however, wouldn't that simply transform the difficulties to later concepts, because it then makes the difference between an open and a closed neighborhood. I always thought this to be the reason for the strict < . Otherwise one has to explain why all of a sudden we change from closed to open.

8. Jul 28, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're right. But when I first learned analysis at university, one of the very first exercises we did was to show that we could replace all notions of ##<## with ##\leq##. I remember that I found it somewhat difficult to grasp, and I didn't really see its importance. In retrospect, I'm happy that we did this.

9. Jul 28, 2016 #8

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Yes, this is exactly why I made this thread. In the following proof, we encounter something similar:

Theorem: If limn-> ∞un = l1 and limn-> ∞vn = l2

limn-> ∞(un + vn) = l1 + l2

Proof: We can say for all ε>0

∃N: n> N => |un-l1|<ε
    ∃N': n> N' => |vn-l2|<ε

Now, we observe, that:

|un + vn - (l1 + l2)| = |(un - l1) + (vn - l2)| =< |un - l1| + |vn - l2|

So, for n > max{N, N'}, we find:

|un + vn - (l1 + l2)| = |(un - l1) + (vn - l2)| =< |un - l1| + |vn - l2| < ε + ε

=> |un + vn - (l1 + l2)| < 2ε

Now, the book does something I'm unsure about:

They say, choose ε' > 0, and let ε = ε'/2. Then we have, for all ε' > 0

n > max {N, N'} => |un + vn - (l1 + l2)| < ε' and what we wanted to proof follows.

It makes sense to me that |un + vn - (l1 + l2)| < 2ε would be enough to proof, as Micromass already said (that's why I created this thread), but I do not fully understand why we can say that ε = ε'/2? Is this, because ε>0 => ε'/2 > 0?

Probably this is a dumb question, but I'm self studying this to prepare for university mathematics to have at least a bit experience with some more abstract mathematics. I got this analysis book from my brother who studies physics.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  10. Jul 28, 2016 #9

fresh_42

It will get better with time. Wait until you will finish your proofs as soon as some ##\epsilon## show up :smile:
    and all the work now, like ##\epsilon' = 2 \epsilon##, ##\epsilon' = \frac{1}{3} \epsilon## or ##\epsilon = \min\{\epsilon_1, \epsilon_2\}## will be classified under the label: "boring technical issues". Unfortunately until then, the boring stuff has to be learned, too. (see post #7)

11. Jul 28, 2016 #10

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Well I do not think it's boring at all ;)

12. Jul 28, 2016 #11

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The other aspect of this is the powerful logical thinking required. For example, the negation of the limit. This confounds a lot of people when they first meet it. How do you say that a sequence does not have a limit of ##L##? This logical thinking is vital, even if the epsilons and deltas have been replaced by other more abstract concepts.

13. Jul 28, 2016 #12

Math_QED

Homework Helper

I'm not quite sure about this one:

Would this be:

∃ε > 0, ∀N: n>N => |un - L | >= ε

or something like..

∀ε > 0, there is no N: n>N => |un - L | < ε

EDIT: could someone give a look at post #8?

14. Jul 28, 2016 #13

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Neither, I'm afraid. Have a good think!

15. Jul 28, 2016 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Both are incorrect.

16. Jul 28, 2016 #15

Svein

Science Advisor

Not only newbies. In the University I once had a very old-fashioned professor. When proving a limit, he chose an ε and a δ, and after about half an hour he ended up with ".. less than 2ε". Of course, we were satisfied, but he started the next lecture by choosing a δ half as big as he had done in the previous lecture and did the whole proof over!

On another note, I remember a proof in multidimensional complex analysis which ended up with "... less that 10 000ε, which is small when ε is small."

17. Jul 28, 2016 #16

Math_QED

Homework Helper

∃ε > 0, ∀N: n>N ∧ |un - L | >= ε

or: ∃ε > 0, ∀N: |un - L | >= ε => n=<N

I used neg(a=>b) <=> a Λ neg(b) for the first and contraposition for the second. I had to look up some logic first because this is something we were not taught in high school.

Can someone look at post #8, this is where I am stuck in the proof.

18. Jul 28, 2016 #17

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not a dumb question. The crux of the matter is that if you choose any ##\epsilon > 0##, then ##\epsilon ' = \epsilon/2 > 0##. And, for this ##\epsilon '## you can find ##N_1, N_2## such that:

##n > N_1 \Rightarrow |u_n - l_1| < \epsilon ' = \epsilon/2##

And

##n > N_2 \Rightarrow |v_n - l_2| < \epsilon ' = \epsilon/2##

Now, ##n > max\{N_1, N_2 \}## gives you what you want.

Does that make sense?

Personally, I would do this without introducing ##\epsilon '##. I'd just say that because ##\epsilon/2 > 0## we can find an ##N_1## such that:

##n > N_1 \Rightarrow |u_n - l_1| < \epsilon/2## etc.

PS I can see the book did things a bit differently. I definitely don't like using ##N'## for the ##l_2## limit. Using ##N_1, N_2## seems much more logical. Especially as ##N'## has nothing to do with ##\epsilon '##

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  19. Jul 28, 2016 #18

Math_QED

Homework Helper

In fact, the book used N1 and N2 but I wrote down the proof without the book. You are right that this is more logical. I believe your explanation helped me further. Thank you for that! I will think about it some more. In the meantime, what do you think about the negation of the limit?

20. Jul 28, 2016 #19

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the negation, think about the sequence:

##1, 1/2, 1, 1/4, 1, 1/8, \dots##

And why it does not converge to either ##0## or ##1## (or anything else!).

21. Jul 28, 2016 #20

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Is what I wrote in post #16 wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted