1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion with formulas for wavefunctions

1. Apr 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am working on this problem:
    upload_2017-4-1_16-21-29.png

The formula I am given in my notes is:
    upload_2017-4-1_16-26-42.png
    I found a website which explains this problem, and they give this formula:
    upload_2017-4-1_16-27-8.png
    But then, their answer is:
    upload_2017-4-1_16-27-48.png
    And I don't see how they went from sqrt(8) to 2 on the numerator. I am confused which formula to use where.
    I am confused as to which formula I should use... my notes don't make any difference between L1, L2 and L3, but then it doesn't matter in this case in the end.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have found a solution for the 3D problem. Yours is the 2D problem, which is slightly different.

4. Apr 1, 2017 #3
    The solution I found was supposed to be for the exact same problem I am working on. In this case do I use the formula from my notes ? Or there is a completely different one that I am forgetting ?

5. Apr 1, 2017 #4
    Could I use this one:
    upload_2017-4-1_16-52-6.png
    and then add the y-component somehow ?

6. Apr 1, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've found the 1D solution and the 3D solution. I think you are supposed to solve the 2D problem for yourself!

7. Apr 1, 2017 #6
    Yes, your problem in 2- or 3 dimension is separable. That, is the wave function for the 2-dimensional problem can be written as a product of two wave functions, one depending on ##x## and the other on ##y##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted