Could this bulb resistance problem be modified ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem with three resistors, L1, L2, and L3, and how the voltage and power dissipation change when L3 is removed. It is found that L1 always gets dimmer when L3 is removed, while L2 always gets brighter. The conversation then poses a new question about whether there is a combination of resistances where L2 would get dimmer when L3 is removed. The expert replies that in this case, L2 would always get brighter. The conversation then shifts to a related problem where L3 is removed and the resistance of L2 is varied to find the value that maximizes power dissipation.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

bulbs.jpeg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The original question given above has been correctly answered by me .The correct option is 2) .

Thinking more about this problem made me wonder if there could be a combination of L1,L2,L3(different from that given in the question) for which , if L3 fuses , L2 gets dimmer .The geometry of the problem is kept same .

I tried few different combinations , but ended up with the same result i.e L2 glows brighter when L3 fuses .

I have no problem with L1 getting dimmer when L3 fuses . Since the net resistance of the circuit increases when L3 fuses , L1 has to get dimmer for any combination of L1,L2,L3 .

But what about L2 ? Does it glow brighter for every combination of L1,L2,L3 (keeping the geometry same )?

Could anyone give a combination of resistances for which L2 gets dimmer when L3 fuses out ?

Attachments

• bulbs.jpeg
    bulbs.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 897
Physics news on Phys.org
It always gets brighter. L1 always gets dimmer, which means the voltage at L1 drops, this means the voltage at L2 increases.

Likes Jahnavi
mfb said:
It always gets brighter. L1 always gets dimmer, which means the voltage at L1 drops, this means the voltage at L2 increases.

Your reasoning is very nice :smile:

Thanks !

Likes mfb
Ok different problem but...

If you remove L3 so you just have L1 and L2 and then vary the resistance of L2 you will find that there is a value for L2 that maximises the power dissipated in L2.

For example if L2 had a very low resistance then there would be no voltage across L2 so no power dissipated in L2. If L2 was very large the current would be very low so again no power would be dissipated in L2.

Try calculating the value required to maximise the power dissipation in L2.

Likes cnh1995

What is the problem with the bulb resistance?

The problem with the bulb resistance is that it is either too high or too low, which affects the brightness and lifespan of the bulb. It can also cause the bulb to flicker or not turn on at all.

What factors can affect bulb resistance?

Some factors that can affect bulb resistance include the type and quality of the bulb, the voltage and current flowing through the circuit, and the temperature of the bulb and its surroundings. Age and wear and tear can also play a role.

Can the bulb resistance be modified?

Yes, the bulb resistance can be modified by changing the voltage and current in the circuit, using a different type or quality of bulb, or adjusting the temperature. However, it is important to note that tampering with the bulb resistance can void its warranty and may cause damage to the bulb or the circuit.

How can I fix a bulb resistance problem?

The solution to fixing a bulb resistance problem depends on the specific issue. If the resistance is too high, you can try replacing the bulb with a lower resistance one or using a resistor in series with the bulb. If the resistance is too low, you can try using a higher resistance bulb or a resistor in parallel with the bulb. It is also important to check for any loose connections or damaged wiring in the circuit.

What can I do to prevent bulb resistance problems?

To prevent bulb resistance problems, it is important to use high-quality bulbs and follow the recommended voltage and current specifications for the circuit. It is also a good idea to keep the bulbs and the surrounding area clean and free of dust or debris, which can affect the temperature and resistance of the bulb. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become bigger problems.