Confusion with open set and a subset of R2

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the definition of an open set to prove that a subset of the Euclidean space is open. The subset is represented as (a1, b1) x (a2, b2) and is clarified to be a set of tuples where the values of x1 and x2 fall within the respective intervals (a1, b1) and (a2, b2).
Heresy

Homework Statement

Using the definition of an open set, prove that the subset [itex]S = \left({a}_{1}, {b}_{1}\right)\times \left({a}_{2}, {b}_{2}\right)[/itex] of the Euclidean space [itex]{R}^{2}[/itex] is open.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I so far don't have much of an attempt, as I am merely trying to figure out what the question is asking. If I interpret the (a1, b1) x (a2, b2) as two vectors on a plane then S would be a vector pointing outwards from the plane? Which doesn't seem like an open set in R2 to me.

I am not looking for a solution, but looking for a clarification of the question in mind.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
(a1, a2) is an open interval on the real number line, just like in high school or calculus.

here, the X refers to the cartesian product. so (a1, b1) X (a2, b2) is the set that consists of tuples1 (x1, x2) where x1 is in (a1, b1) and x2 is in (a2, b2). There is an unfortunate overlap of notation between vector/tuple notation and the notation for intervals.

In symbols and for general sets:

[tex]S_{1} \times S_{2} = \left{\{ (a, b) : a \in S_{1}, b \in S_{2} \right}\} [/tex]1 - tuples are essentially vectors but with no necessarily assumed linear structure

Last edited:
Thank you very much!

1. What is an open set in R2?

An open set in R2 is a set of points that does not include its boundary. In other words, every point in the set has a small open ball around it that is also contained within the set.

2. How is an open set different from a subset of R2?

An open set is a specific type of subset of R2. A subset of R2 is any collection of points within the two-dimensional coordinate plane, while an open set has the additional requirement that it does not contain its boundary.

3. What is the significance of open sets in mathematics?

Open sets play a crucial role in the study of topology and analysis. They allow for the definition of limits, continuity, and differentiation, among other important concepts. Additionally, many mathematical proofs rely on the properties of open sets.

4. Can a subset of R2 be an open set?

Yes, a subset of R2 can be an open set if it satisfies the criteria of not containing its boundary. For example, the set of all points within a circle would be considered an open set in R2.

5. Why is confusion common between open sets and subsets of R2?

Confusion may arise because the definition of an open set is often used as a way to differentiate it from a subset of R2. Additionally, open sets and subsets of R2 share many similar properties, making it difficult to distinguish between the two at first glance.