Conical Pendulum Concept Questions

In summary, the homework statement discusses the effects that changing the launch angle and the length of the string have on the centripetal acceleration and centripetal force of a conical pendulum.
Taschen

Homework Statement

Q1. I am currently doing a physics assignment where i must answer some concept questions about a conical pendulum. So here they are:
Does the centripetal acceleration and/or the net force alter if the launch angle changes?

Q2. Would the centripetal acceleration and/or centripetal force change if the length of the string attached to the bob was different? Why or why not?

Q3. Would a conical pendulum act differently on Earth versus on the moon? If so, how?

A1. I answered Yes because the radius of the circle formed would change, and the centripetal acceleration and the net force are both inversely proportional to the radius. Is this true?

A2. No answer to this one. I really don't know.

A3. Again no answer to this one. I would guess that because the weight of the object is less on the moon, the tension in the string would be less. Can anyone clarify?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your free body diagram, draw the forces and then use ΣFy=0. The horizontal component of the force will provide the centripetal force.

You should now have two equations which should help you easily answer your questions.

So i retried the 3 questions and i got:
A1. Both acceleration and force change because the radius changes.
A2. Both acceleration and force change because the radius changes.
A3. Nothing would change because weight only affects the y-component of the pendulum.

Can anyone verify these answers?

Taschen said:
So i retried the 3 questions and i got:
A1. Both acceleration and force change because the radius changes.
A2. Both acceleration and force change because the radius changes.
A3. Nothing would change because weight only affects the y-component of the pendulum.

Can anyone verify these answers?

1 and 2 are correct.

For 3.

Tsinθ=mg

Tcosθ=mv2/r

if 'g' changes, then so would 'T', right?

Oh i see. because Sinθ is constant then T has to change. That means that the tension on the string is decreased when on the moon. Thanks for the help!

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum in which the bob, or weight, swings in a circular motion rather than back and forth in a straight line. It is suspended from a fixed point and moves in a cone shape due to the tension of the string or wire that holds it.

2. How does a conical pendulum work?

A conical pendulum works by using the force of gravity to pull the bob towards the center of the circular motion. This creates tension in the string or wire, which in turn keeps the bob moving in a circular path. The bob's velocity and the length of the string determine the speed and size of the circular motion.

3. What factors affect the motion of a conical pendulum?

The motion of a conical pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the string or wire, the mass of the bob, the angle at which the string is suspended, and the speed at which the bob is released. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role.

4. How is the period of a conical pendulum calculated?

The period, or time it takes for one complete cycle of the pendulum's circular motion, can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes a small angle of deflection and neglects air resistance.

5. What are some real-world applications of conical pendulums?

Conical pendulums have been used in various applications such as Foucault's pendulum to demonstrate the rotation of the Earth, in some types of clocks to keep time, and in amusement park rides to create thrilling swinging motions. They have also been used in scientific experiments to study the effects of gravity and motion.