1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conjecture about the nth derivative of the function f(x)=e^(ax)

1. Mar 26, 2010 #1
    Make a conjecture about the nth derivative of the function f(x)=e^(ax). This conjecture should be written as a self contained proposition including an appropriate quantifier.

What is the last sentence saying to do. I know what a conjecture is but I am confused on what the book wants here.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2
    Re: Conjecture

To help you understand what "conjecture" means, consider the following small example. For example, let's pretend that I happen to notice that

[tex]1+2 = 3 = \frac{2 (2+1)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]1+2+3 = 6 = \frac{3( 3+1)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]1+2+3+4= 10 = \frac{4(4+1)}{2}[/tex]

then I might hypothesize that

[tex]1+2+3+\dotsm + (n-1) + n = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

Such an hypothesis (based on observed patterns) is a conjecture about the formula for the sum 1+2+3+...+(n-1)+n. It is an educated guess that appears to be true, but needs to be proved (or possibly disproved -- maybe our hypothesis is wrong).

So for your question, try playing around with all the derivatives (first, second, third, etc.) of the function e^(ax) and see if you can find any patterns. Then make a "conjecture" about the "nth derivative"

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3

So the self contained proposition doesn't mean to do anything special or different then a just making any conjecture?

5. Mar 27, 2010 #4

I believe that the intention of this problem is that the conjecture you make has only to do with the function f(x) = e^(ax) and its derivatives, and nothing more (self-contained). Otherwise, we could make up just about any conjecture.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook