Connected/Disconnected all the same to me

• Thread starter marlen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses examples of connected sets in R squared that become disconnected when one point is removed, including functions such as sin(x/2) and 1/x, and sets like closed balls and curves that close in on themselves. The final conclusion is that a set like A = {(x,y)| y=0} would be a simple example of a connected set in R squared that becomes disconnected when removing one point.
marlen
Connected/Disconnected...all the same to me...

My question for all of you ladies and gentlemen is

what would be considered as an example of a connected set in R squared that becomes disconnected when we remove one point.

My answer would be sin(x/2), but is there a simpler example.

Physics news on Phys.org
consider two closed balls with just one point in common.

Or like you said, a curve that does close in on itself.

quasar987 said:
consider two closed balls with just one point in common.

Or like you said, a curve that does close in on itself.

Huh? I'm confused.

Would 1/x work? What would be a solid example, one that I could understand?

S = f(x; y) : y = 1/x; 0 < x  1g [ f(x; 0) : 1  x  0g would this work

marlen said:
S = f(x; y) : y = 1/x; 0 < x  1g [ f(x; 0) : 1  x  0g would this work

TOTALLY DISREGARD THIS COMMENT

S = {(x,y): y = 1/x, 0 < x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1} [tex]\cup[/tex] {(x,0): -1 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 0}

I meant would this work?

marlen said:
S = {(x,y): y = 1/x, 0 < x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1} [tex]\cup[/tex] {(x,0): -1 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 0}

I meant would this work?

No, because S isn't connected. Either part of S would work.

Or A= {(x,y)| y= 0} will do.

1. What does "Connected/Disconnected all the same to me" mean?

This phrase means that, regardless of whether something is considered connected or disconnected, it has the same outcome or effect on the speaker. It emphasizes the idea that the speaker does not see a significant difference between the two states.

2. Can you give an example of when this phrase might be used?

Sure, for example, if someone is talking about their relationship with a friend and they say "We don't talk as much as we used to, but it's connected/disconnected all the same to me" they are expressing that the state of their relationship doesn't affect them much.

3. Is there a specific context in which this phrase is used?

This phrase can be used in various contexts, but it is most commonly used in discussions about relationships or connections between people or things. It can also be used in a more abstract sense, such as discussing the impact of technology on our connections to others.

4. What is the origin of this phrase?

The origin of this phrase is not clear, but it is believed to have originated from the idea that all things in the universe are ultimately connected, and therefore, everything is disconnected all the same. It can also be interpreted as a reflection of the concept of duality, where two seemingly opposite states can ultimately lead to the same outcome.

5. How does this phrase relate to scientific concepts?

While not explicitly a scientific concept, this phrase can be related to the idea of interconnectedness in systems and networks. In science, we often see that seemingly disconnected elements can actually have a significant impact on each other. Additionally, the concept of duality is often explored in scientific fields, such as particle physics and quantum mechanics.