1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connected rate of change & Calculus

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    quesaa.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Managed part a) just fine, but the trouble comes with part b. Erm, the thing is i've got the answer just fine using the chain rule;

i worked out dh/dt = 1/(dV/dh) * dV/dt

Giving me 18 * [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{pi}{3}(18h-3h^2)}[/tex]

Now, I thought, "Okay, it says something about 3 so i'll insert that" and i did, giving me the correct answer, but when I was explaining to my friend about it and I thought i could try to explain it to him geometrically by drawing out the semi-circle and the line x = 3 - h I got stuck myself. I just can't justify it to myself geometrically because;

you have the semi-circle passing through (-3 , 0) (0, 3) & (3 , 0) and the vertical line x = 3 - h, now when it's 'full' surely h will equal 6? So the line goes back to (-3,0)...

I think i'm generally confused.

I know it's a long problem but i'd really appreciate any help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is a hemisphere of radius 3. When it is full, the height of the water equals the radius, 3.

4. Jul 26, 2009 #3
    Yeah, which is the same reasoning that I used when answering it, however when i sketch the actual graph of y = (9 - x²)^0.5 & x = 3 - h. You'll see what I mean, sureley only when h is 6 will the whole volume of the hemisphere be given when you integrate the volume...

5. Jul 26, 2009 #4
    never minddddd :PP i got it!

Is it that when you integrate you would only need the cross-section for 1/4 of the hemisphere? (Because it rotates it around)

Thank you!! :P

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook