Connection between relative permittivity and bandwidth

Main Question or Discussion Point

What is the connection of relative permittivity and bandwidth of an antenna?
Higher relative permittivity resulted in high wider bandwidth?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
What is the connection of relative permittivity and bandwidth of an antenna?
Higher relative permittivity resulted in high wider bandwidth?
Regular metal antennas (dipoles, monopoles, loops, folded dipoles, horns) are surrounded by air or vacuum. What relative permeability are you referring to?

Regular metal antennas (dipoles, monopoles, loops, folded dipoles, horns) are surrounded by air or vacuum. What relative permeability are you referring to?
Yes, relativity permeability is simply the permeability of the metal divided by the vacuum permeability.
You can also simply discuss permeability vs bandwidth.

I saw this connection in a paper. But in a antenna class I heard the contrary. It seems everyone know this connection. I might made some mistakes.

berkeman
Mentor
Oops, my bad. I had a brain fade and was thinking of permittivity of the material surrounding the antenna. Sheesh.
I saw this connection in a paper. But in a antenna class I heard the contrary. It seems everyone know this connection.
Was it for a particular geometry of antenna? Like maybe a folded dipole, or some other configuration where the antenna metal comes close to itself?

berkeman
Mentor
I saw this connection in a paper.
I think it is a general relationship, and everybody know.
It looks like you will need to find and post some links to the papers that everybody is publishing on the subject...