Connection, Metric and Torsion

In summary, there are some potential conceptual confusions regarding the definition and use of connections, Christoffel symbols, and bases in non-coordinate systems. Additionally, there may be differences in the geodesics and Christoffel symbols between metric compatible connections with torsion and the Levi-Civita connection.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
In the presence of torsion, is it correct to say that the metric doesn't give rise to a unique connection? So, if we were using, say ECKS theory, which unlike GR includes torsion, in order to find the connection, we'd need not only the metric, but a specification of the torsion.

My thinking is that the metric gives the symmetric part of the Christoffel symbols of the second kind, but in the presence of torsion, there is also an asymmetric part for these symbols which is given by the torsion. However, I could use a sanity check here.

A related question: if we define a geodesic by saying that it parallel transports its own tangent vector, is the geodesic equation unaffected by the presence of the torsion? So the metric still gives us the geodesic equation, the unspecified torsion terms don't matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
pervect said:
My thinking is that the metric gives the symmetric part of the Christoffel symbols of the second kind, but in the presence of torsion, there is also an asymmetric part for these symbols which is given by the torsion. However, I could use a sanity check here.

This is generally not correct. The symmetric part of the Christoffel symbols in a metric compatible connection with non-zero torsion are not the Christoffel symbols of the Levi-Civita connection.

pervect said:
A related question: if we define a geodesic by saying that it parallel transports its own tangent vector, is the geodesic equation unaffected by the presence of the torsion? So the metric still gives us the geodesic equation, the unspecified torsion terms don't matter?

No. Generally, the connection with torsion has different geodesics. As an example, consider the connection on the sphere (minus the poles) for which compass directions are parallel transported.

To make the example explicit. Consider the two-dimensional sphere (with the poles removed) and the vector fields
$$
X = \partial_\theta \quad \mbox{and} \quad Y = \frac{1}{\sin\theta} \partial_\varphi,
$$
where ##\theta## and ##\varphi## are the spherical coordinates. With the standard metric, these fields are orthonormal everywhere and if we define a connection such that ##\nabla_Z X = \nabla_Z Y = 0## for all ##Z##, i.e., both ##X## and ##Y## are parallel, the connection is metric compatible (you can easily check that it conserves inner products under parallel transport by decomposing an arbitrary vector into a linear combination of ##X## and ##Y##).

This connection has only one non-zero Christoffel symbol, ##\Gamma_{\theta\varphi}^\varphi = \cot(\theta)## and is not torsion free (in particular ##\Gamma_{\varphi\theta}^\varphi = 0##. If you take the symmetric part of the Christoffel symbols, the only non-zero element is ##\Gamma_{\{\theta\varphi\}}^\varphi =\Gamma_{\{\varphi\theta\}}^\varphi = \cot(\theta)/2##. This does not correctly reproduce the non-zero Christoffel symbols of the Levi-Civita connection.

The geodesics of the above mentioned connection are generally not great circles (although the equator and the meridians are geodesics and great circles), but the curves that move in a fixed compass direction. For example, the curves of constant latitude go east##\leftrightarrow##west and are geodesics in this connection.

OK, before I work on some possible conceptual confusions I might be suffering from, I need to clear up some linguistic confusions. Is a connection generally defined to be the Ricci rotation coefficients, the connenction one-forms, usually written something like ##\omega_{\lambda\mu\nu}## (Wald, pg 50, for instance)?. Or does "a connecton" sometimes mean the Christoffel symbols ##\Gamma## as well?

Additionally, are the Christoffel symbols ##\Gamma## defined in a non-coordinate basis, and if so, how? I've only seen Christoffel symbols defined and (up to now) used in the context of a coordinate basis. This if (as in your example) we have a non-coordinate basis, and we start talking about the Christoffel symbols in that basis, I get confused. The Christoffel symbols aren't tensors, so I don't think we can do the usual and just transform the basis :(.

1. What is a connection in mathematics?

A connection in mathematics is a mathematical tool used to define a notion of parallel transport on a manifold. It allows for the comparison of geometric objects at different points on the manifold, and is essential in studying the curvature of a space.

2. How is a connection related to a metric?

A connection is related to a metric because it allows for the calculation of distances and angles on a manifold. The metric determines the lengths of vectors and the angles between them, while the connection allows for the comparison of these vectors at different points on the manifold.

3. What is a metric tensor?

A metric tensor is a mathematical object used to define a metric on a manifold. It is a symmetric, positive-definite tensor that assigns inner products to tangent vectors at each point on the manifold. It is used to measure distances and angles on the manifold.

4. What is torsion in connection theory?

Torsion is a phenomenon in connection theory that arises when the order of covariant differentiation of a vector field affects the result. In other words, the derivative of a vector may depend not only on the point at which it is evaluated, but also on the path taken to get there. This can lead to non-integrable connections, which have important implications in the study of curvature.

5. What is the difference between a torsion-free and a torsionless connection?

A torsion-free connection is one in which the torsion tensor, which measures the non-integrability of the connection, is identically zero. This means that the order of covariant differentiation of a vector field does not affect the result. A torsionless connection, on the other hand, is one in which the torsion tensor vanishes only for certain types of vector fields. This allows for a more general notion of parallel transport and can be useful in certain mathematical applications.