1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of ang. momentum using Euler-Lag. Eqns (help! ;-)

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1

T-7

Hi,

I'm stuck on what I suspect is a really easy proof. I'd appreciate some rapid help!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a trajectory with given initial position and velocity, we can always rotate the system of coordinates such that initially [tex]d\theta / dt = 0 [/tex] and [tex]\theta= \pi/2[/tex] say, t = 0.

Using the Euler-Lagrange equations, show that [tex]\theta[/tex] remains at [tex]\pi/2[/tex] for all times t.

3. The attempt at a solution

Having obtained the Lagrangian (L=mv^2/2 + U, rewriting v as [tex]\dot{r}^{2}+r^{2}(\dot{\phi}^{2}sin^{2}\theta + \dot{\theta}^{2})[/tex] in spherical coordinates, and taken partial derivatives with respect to [tex] \dot{\theta} [/tex] and [tex] \theta [/tex], and [tex]\phi[/tex] and [tex]\dot{\phi}[/tex], I have found the following relations (I think they're correct?)

[tex]d/dt [mr^2\dot{\theta}] = mr^2\dot{\phi^2}cos(\theta)sin(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]d/dt [mr^{2} \dot{\phi} sin^{2} (\theta)] = 0[/tex]

(There is a third expression, from the partial derivatives wrt. [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]\dot{r}[/tex], but I doubt it's relevant here.)

I'd be tempted to integrate both sides of the first to get an expression for [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex], but that's where I become unstuck just now... I'm not sure how to integrate the RHS with respect to time, given what I know about the components. But presumably integration is going to be involved here, or the initial conditions would never come into play (?). I can deduce from the second that [tex]mr^{2} \dot{\phi} sin^{2} (\theta) = const = c[/tex], and so at t = 0 [tex]mr^{2} \dot{\phi} = c[/tex], but nothing more of interest seems to be following at the moment...

Incidentally, I take the geometrical meaning to be that the motion is confined to a plane orthogonal to L, ang. momentum is conserved.

Advice gratefully received (as soon as possible!) Many thanks :-)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2
    The statement you are trying to prove is not true for any potencial energy U. Does the problem include something like U=U(r)?

4. Feb 28, 2008 #3

T-7

Yep. :-)

5. Feb 28, 2008 #4
    If you put theta(t)=pi/2, then the equation is always true. I think this proves that theta must be constant, since a physical system can not have more than one solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?