1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of angular and linear momentum

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://home.phys.ntnu.no/brukdef/undervisning/tfy4145/ovinger/Ov10.pdf
    Look at the picture in "oppgave 1".

Suppose you have an incoming mass which hits the very thin rod straight on in a completely inelastic collision. the incoming mass is ##m##, the rod has a mass of ##M##, and the little mass hits the rod at a length ##l## from the top.

According to the text, the linear momentum right before and right after are NOT preserved, while the angular momentum is.

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the total linear momentum before and after, and indeed I got:

[tex] p_0 = m v[/tex]
    and
    [tex] p_1 = \frac{m v + M L/2l}{MvL^2 /3ml^2 +1}[/tex]

so the two momentums are seemingly unpreserved. Why is this so? I realize it's a translational motion going over to a rotational one, but what does this have to do with linear momentum not being preserved??

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2
    You forgot to mention that the rod is hinged at its top. What is the implication of that?

4. Nov 5, 2013 #3
    That the motion after the collision is rotational?

5. Nov 5, 2013 #4
    That too. But on a more fundamental level, conservation of momentum works only when no external forces act on the system. Is that the case with the hinged rod?

6. Nov 5, 2013 #5
    ahh, of course. How stupid of me. thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted