1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Angular Momentum and Energy

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We measure a comet at perihelion to have a radial distance r1 and a velocity v1. Find the radial distance and velocity when it reaches aphelion.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My professor skipped the chapter on Newton's Gravitation, F=GMm/r^2, so I don't think it applies here.

The book is entirely symbolic--the answer expected should be in terms of v1 and r1.

I labeled the radial distance and velocity r2 and v2, respectively. Since L is constant, m*v1*r1 = m*v2*r2, or v1*r1=v2*r2. Of course, this equation only gives the unknown radial distance in terms of the unknown velocity, or vice versa.

I don't think U = -GMm/r would apply here, since, again, my professor skipped the chapter on gravitation. I tried solving using a second equality, .5m*v1^2-GMm/r1=.5m*v2^2-GMm/r2, but when I solved the system of equations with Mathematica, I got a gigantic mess for an answer.

I appreciate your time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    I think both your equations correct, you just did something wrong with the calculations. :smile:

BTW, what's mathematica ? Are you using a software to solve these equations ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?