1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Angular Momentum - Two ants on a massless rod

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a problem about angular momentum and torque from the physics textbook Don't Panic Volume I. Attached is a screenshot of the problem.

2. Relevant equations

L = mr2ω

3. The attempt at a solution

The angular momentum must be conserved to keep ω constant.

Initial L = (m1 + m2)(B/4)2ω
    Final L= ω(m1(B/4 - [itex]\alpha[/itex]t2)2 + m2x)

Therefore, x= [(m1 + m2)(B/4)2 - m1(B/4 - [itex]\alpha[/itex]t2)2]/m2

The second ant must move toward the center so that its distance from it is x.

What do you guys think? This is the last problem so I thought it would not be this simple. Is there something missing or should I do something more?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Can you at least state the problem. (Where's the screenshot?)

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    That's odd. I'm sure it was in the attachment... Oh well.

A massless rod of length B is pivoted at its center so that it can rotate in the horizontal plane. Two ants are riding this rod in the locations shown (both B/4 away from the center) and the rod is rotating with angular velocity ω in the counterclockwise direction, viewed from above. If ant 1, mass m1, starts (at t = 0) moving toward the center so that his distance from it is B/4 - [itex]\alpha[/itex]t2, what must the second ant, mass m2, do to keep the rod's angular velocity constant?

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good except that x should be x2.

Looks like you have the right idea. (And that there's not much to it.) Perhaps the expression can be simplified a bit. (If ant 1 moves toward the center, which direction must ant 2 move?)

6. Apr 13, 2012 #5
    Oh right, forgot the square. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook