Conservation of Energy and Angular Momentum in a Satellite Breakup

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
peripatein
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Homework Statement


A satellite with mass m orbits a planet of mass M in a circular path with radius r and velocity v. Due to some internal technical failure, the satellite breaks into two, similar parts with mass m/2 each. In the satellite's frame of reference, it appears the two parts move radially, in opposite directions, along the line connecting the original satellite and the planet's center, each with velocity v0/2. I am expected to show that right after the technical failure, each of the two parts has a total energy equal to -3GM/16r and angular momentum equal to (m/2)√(GMr), wrt the planet's center.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


The total energy of each of the two parts should be, I believe: Etot = mv02/16 - GmM/(2r). Now, isn't angular momentum preserved despite the failure? However, why isn't the angular momentum zero if the two parts are moving in opposite directions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi peripatein! :smile:
peripatein said:
Now, isn't angular momentum preserved despite the failure?

yes :smile:
However, why isn't the angular momentum zero if the two parts are moving in opposite directions?

you're misreading the question …

they are moving in opposite directions in the rest-frame of the satellite

imagine a rod moving sideways, and two beads moving with equal speeds away from each other along it …

the actual motions of the beads are both diagonally forwards :wink:
 
The velocity of the the CoM remains v, right? And I know that wrt that CoM, each part moves at +-v0/2, right? Ergo, the velocity of each part wrt to the planet's center should be the sum of the CoM's velocity (which I know) and the velocity of the respective part wrt the CoM (which I also know), correct?
 
Don't I need some sort of relation between v and v0? I am unable to obtain that through conservation of angular momentum though.
 
tiny-tim said:
i think vo and v are suposed to be the same

No. v is the original tangential velocity. v0 is the radial velocity with which the two move apart.
 
peripatein said:
The total energy of each of the two parts should be, I believe: Etot = mv02/16 - GmM/(2r).
They also have the KE of the original tangential velocity, v.
 
tiny-tim said:
i think vo and v are suposed to be the same
haruspex said:
No. v is the original tangential velocity. v0 is the radial velocity with which the two move apart.

i think vo and v are supposed to be the same :smile:
 
tiny-tim said:
i think vo and v are supposed to be the same :smile:
Ah, you mean equal, which is not quite the same as same :biggrin:.