1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy and momentum

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An open container of mass 50.0 kg is rolling to the left at speed of 5.0 m/s on a
    frictionless surface. A 15.0 kg box slides down a 37° inclined plane and leaves
    the end of the plane with speed of 3.0 m/s. The end of the plane is a vertical
    distance of 4.0 m above the bottom of the container (see figure). The box lands
    in the container and they roll off together.
    a- What are the velocity components of the box just before it lands in the container?
    b- What is the magnitude and direction of the final velocity of the container?

2. Relevant equations
    U1+K1=U2+K2
    Pi=Pf

3. The attempt at a solution
    a)U1+K1=U2+K2 (U2=0)
    mgh=.5mVo^2=.5mv^2 then i get V=9.35 m/s

b)Vx=(15*7.47)-50*5)/65=-2.12 m/s
    Vy=(15*-5.627)/65 = -1.3 m/s
    so in (b) i get V=2.12 m/s to the left (removed the Vy because the floor is horizontal)
    and in (a) is it right to have U2=0 ?? because the question wasn't specific if the container in the ground or not ,, anyway the picture is in the attachment,,are my answers right ?

Attached Files:

• 242.JPG
      242.JPG
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's correct for the magnitude, but you need the components.

I don't understand what you did here. Hint: In what direction is momentum conserved during the collision of box and container?

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3
    i got the components and used them in question (b) where Vx=Vcos37 and Vy=Vsin-37 (V=9.35),, the momentum is conserved in the X-axis right ?? because i see that Y-axis just has the block components and there is a floor so the vertical velocity wont count.. is that right ??

5. Apr 5, 2009 #4

Doc Al

This is incorrect. The angle 37° applies only to the initial velocity. By the time the block hits the container the angle will be different.
    Yes, momentum is only conserved in the x-direction. (There are external forces--from the floor--acting in the y-direction.)

6. Apr 5, 2009 #5
    let see ,, you mean i can distribute Vf into 2 components right .. so the should i devide Vi from the first because Vix=Vfx right ?? so just apply (mgh+.5*m*Viy^2=.5*m*Vfy^2) is this right ??
    if it is right I'll get Vix=Vfx=2.4 m/s but Vfy=9 m/s right ?

and from momentum ((2.4*15)-(5*50)=65Vf)) therefore Vf =-3.3 m/s (Vf=3.3 m/s in the container direction) am i right now ? :)

7. Apr 5, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Looks good to me. :approve:

8. Apr 5, 2009 #7
    cool ,, thanks very much again :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook