Finding the delta x of a bow and arrow pullback

• Thread starter Malcohmh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta
In summary, the conversation is about finding the delta x of a bow pullback. The weight of the pullback is 45 kg and the speed of the arrow as it is shot out is 83 m/s. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation K1+U1+W=K2+U2, but there was confusion about which formulas to plug in. The conversation then focuses on determining the mass of the arrow and solving for the kinetic energy. Ultimately, the correct approach may be to treat the arc of the bow as two rods jointed in the middle and use trigonometry to determine the relationship between draw weight and max torque, and then use this to calculate the stored energy.
Malcohmh

Homework Statement

Find the delta x of the bow pullback. The weight of the pullback is 45 kg, the speed of the arrow as it shot out was 184mph( i converted that to velocity and got 83 m/s).

Homework Equations

I'm using K1+U1+W=K2+U2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure which formulas to plug into that equation... is it u1+work=k2? or work=k2. Then i didn't know what plugs into u1. work=FxD. please just show me where to start!

Physics news on Phys.org
So I ended up using work= kinectic energy, because it's the same. I got (444.8xDistance)=1/2(45.36)(82.6^2) then i got a very large distance? was that right?

Malcohmh said:
(444.8xDistance)=1/2(45.36)(82.6^2)
The arrow is 45.36kg?!

haruspex said:
The arrow is 45.36kg?!
No the pull on the bow! Sorry lol... Idk what I should plug in? Does that mean I have to solve for the mass in KE?

Malcohmh said:
No the pull on the bow! Sorry lol... Idk what I should plug in then
If you don't know the mass of the arrow then you cannot determine the KE achieved. Are you sure you have quoted the whole question, word for word?

haruspex said:
If you don't know the mass of the arrow then you cannot determine the KE achieved. Are you sure you have quoted the whole question, word for word?

Ya. I think I am missing some pieces.. from what I see towards the end of the video. :D
136 joules of KE= 1/2m(82.6^2). m=.04kg then i plug that into 444.8xDist.=1/2(.04)(82.06^2)! YES?! The pullback is .3m?!

Last edited:
Malcohmh said:
136 joules of KE= 1/2m(82.6^2). m=.04kg then i plug that into 444.8xDist.=1/2(.04)(82.06^2)! YES?! The pullback is .3m?!
Not quite. The 445 N is the peak draw weight. It will not be constant over the distance. Do you know the formula for PE of a spring?

It's (1/2)•444.8•Dist.=(1/2)(.04)(82.6^2)
Yes! Distance=.61meters!

Malcohmh said:
It's (1/2)•444.8•Dist.=(1/2)(.04)(82.6^2)
Yes! Distance=.61meters!
Are you saying that is the correct answer as given by the question setter?
There is a problem with applying the spring formula to drawing a bow. If we take the arc of the bow as behaving like a spring, the pull on the string does not. To do it more accurately, it would probably be simpler to think in terms of the movement of the ends of the bow, treating the arc as two rods jointed in the middle. When the two rods form an angle ##\pi-2\theta##, the torque at the joint is ##k\theta##. Knowing the draw length, with a bit of trig we can deduce the relationship between the draw weight (the max force applied to the string) and the max torque, and thus determine k. Then the stored energy would be ##\frac 12 k {\theta_{max}}^2##.

Likes Malcohmh

1. What is the delta x of a bow and arrow pullback?

The delta x of a bow and arrow pullback refers to the distance between the initial position of the bowstring and its final position when the arrow is released. It is a measure of the amount of energy stored in the bowstring during the pullback.

2. How is the delta x calculated for a bow and arrow pullback?

The delta x can be calculated by measuring the length of the bowstring when it is in its initial position and then again when it is fully pulled back. The difference between these two lengths is the delta x.

3. What factors affect the delta x of a bow and arrow pullback?

The delta x of a bow and arrow pullback can be affected by the strength and technique of the person pulling back the bow, the type and tension of the bowstring, and the weight and design of the arrow being used.

4. Why is the delta x important in archery?

The delta x is important in archery because it is a key factor in determining the speed and distance of the arrow when it is released. A larger delta x means more energy is stored in the bowstring, resulting in a faster and more powerful shot.

5. Can the delta x be changed or adjusted?

Yes, the delta x can be changed or adjusted by altering the bowstring tension, changing the draw length of the bow, or using a different type of arrow. However, it is important to note that these changes can also affect the accuracy and performance of the shot.