Conservation of Energy applied to a potential difference.

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the law of energy conservation to voltage difference. It is established that building a voltage difference on a capacitor requires energy, but once it is there, can the resulting electric field perform work without reducing the potential difference? The scenario of a charged sphere on a lever connected to a weight is presented, and it is questioned if the load can be moved without decreasing the potential difference. It is explained that by inserting a metal object between the capacitor plates, the capacitance increases, leading to a decrease in potential difference. This can be measured with a sensitive voltmeter or electroscope. It is also noted that a plastic object could have a similar effect due to changes in its dielectric constant. Through this,
silverdiesel
I am looking for some help on how to apply the law of energy conservation when applied to a voltage difference. Specifically, here is what I am thinking.

If you build a voltage difference on a capacitor, I know it takes energy to build that difference, but once it is there, can the resulting electric field preform work without reducing the potential difference? Say I have a charged sphere on a lever connected to a weight, or gears, some load. Then, I place this sphere/lever system into the electric field of the capacitor. The sphere will move, as will the lever, as will the load. Now, if the lever is not long enough, or not allowed to move far enough to actually touch the plates of the capicitor, there will be no loss of energy in the potential difference, yet, the load will have moved by some use of energy from somewhere... right? What am I missing? I hope I have explained my set-up well enough to be understood.

:uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
silverdiesel said:
there will be no loss of energy in the potential difference,
:uhh:
Yes there will.

By inserting a metal object between capacitor plates you effectively make the capacitance bigger. You can see that by letting your object fill almost all of the space between the plates without actually touching the plates. You have now 2 capacitors in series, which combined are bigger then the first one.
Since pd = q / c and c is now bigger so pd is now smaller. If you had an extremely sensitive volt meter you could measure this difference. Perhaps an electroscope could show the difference.
Even if you would insert a plastic object you could make a roughly similar argument because then er changes so that the capacitance also gets bigger.

okay, that makes a lot of sence. Thank you for clearing that up.

What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

How does the conservation of energy apply to potential difference?

In the context of electricity, potential difference refers to the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electrical circuit. The conservation of energy applies to potential difference because the total amount of energy in a closed electrical circuit remains constant, even as energy is transferred from one form (potential energy) to another (kinetic energy).

What is the relationship between potential difference and energy?

Potential difference is directly proportional to energy. In other words, the greater the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, the more energy is required to move a charge from one point to the other.

How is the conservation of energy applied in practical scenarios?

The conservation of energy is applied in many practical scenarios, such as in the design and operation of electrical devices. For example, in a light bulb, electrical energy is transformed into light and heat energy, but the total amount of energy remains constant according to the conservation of energy principle.

What are some real-life examples of potential difference and the conservation of energy?

One real-life example of potential difference and the conservation of energy is in hydroelectric power plants. The potential energy of water stored in a dam is converted into electrical energy as it flows through a turbine. Another example is a battery-powered device, where chemical energy is converted into electrical energy to power the device.