1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy as a function of Time

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball of unspecified mass is in a free fall - and we are supposed to rearrange equations to teach us the basics of kinematics. It's a general question with no values given for the variables

Use your conservation of energy equation: v = sqrt(2gh) and calculus to write an expression for the ball's position as a function of time.

2. Relevant equations

It's the last part that is getting me. I'm thinking they want me to use an integral to find the position-time graph or something. Alternatively, I can't figure out how to relate a kinematic equation: y=(1/2)gt^2 (in this case) to the conservation of energy equation we derived.

(We derived this conservation of energy equation from putting the kinetic energy in terms of its velocity - then relating this energy transfer to the force of gravity working on this free falling ball. The result was the above equation - which is supposed to be an equation of velocity in terms of the forces acting on the ball. Did I do that right?

3. Attempt at Solution

I've been bothered by this for hours. I tried writing the integral of the v = sqrt(2gh) function, but I just get a messy integral and I'm not sure that's the right idea anyway. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the question?

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2
    Okay let's write v = sqrt(2gh), in calculus terms

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \sqrt{2gy(t)[/tex]

Or

[tex]\frac{dy}{\sqrt{2gy(t)}} = dt[/tex]

Or if you integrate both sides

[tex]\int{\frac{dy}{\sqrt{2gy(t)}}} = \int{dt} = t + C[/tex]

This is an easy enough integral, then solve for y(t) and use your initial conditions to find C.

4. Sep 7, 2007 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Try using

[tex]v = \frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

and

[tex]y(t)=h_o - h(t)[/tex]

y positive downwards.

5. Sep 7, 2007 #4
    Excellent! Thank you - that makes great sense!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?