Conservation of energy for a system

In summary, the question asks for the work done by friction, when the answer is that it is transformed to thermal/sound/other forms of energy.
_buddha
Hello everyone I am stuck on this question, hopefully someone can help me out, here is the question:

phys1.jpg

2kg block is sitting on surface while 3kg block is hanging.

So far this is what I am thinking, the 2 blocks acts as a system, initially the block is 1.5m high, so mgy gives me the initial potential energy and when that block falls the velocity gives me the kinetic energy. So the kinetic energy plus the thermal energy(friction) should equal my initial potential energy. So this is what I have ..

mgy = 1/2mv^2 + fkd
73.5 = 36.1 + fkd
Fkd = 37.4 J

Which is wrong, the answer is -8.0 J.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your PE term is incorrect. The block on the table has no change in PE. Only the falling block has a change in PE. Also, your fkd is on the wrong side of the equation, which affects the plus or minus sign of the solution.

PhanthomJay said:
Your PE term is incorrect. The block on the table has no change in PE. Only the falling block has a change in PE. Also, your fkd is on the wrong side of the equation, which affects the plus or minus sign of the solution.

Why wouldn't there be any PE on the block on the table? Isn't there gravitational potential energy? (Just for my own knowledge, thanks)

Well, yes, if you take the reference axis for PE as the bottom of the 1.5m fall, it does have initial PE of 2g(1.5). But its final PE is also 2g(1.5). So you'd have to include that value on the right side of the equation, which you did not. The change in its PE is zero. So your PE term on the left for both blocks is correct...but on the right, you must add in the PE term for the block on the table.

PhanthomJay said:
Well, yes, if you take the reference axis for PE as the bottom of the 1.5m fall, it does have initial PE of 2g(1.5). But its final PE is also 2g(1.5). So you'd have to include that value on the right side of the equation, which you did not. The change in its PE is zero. So your PE term on the left for both blocks is correct...but on the right, you must add in the PE term for the block on the table.

That's what I thought, btw, I'm not OP I was just curious as to what you meant :p

Oh, yeah, not the OP...:uhh:

thanks for the help, actually that guy isn't me LOL. anyways i understand what youre saying, however i don't get why fkd should be on the left side? What i have now is U1 + U2 = K + U2 + fkd. The U2's cancel out...and the left hand side is my initial Emech(both U1 and U2 prior to the drop). isn't it thermal energy fkd PLUS the kinetic energy of both masses = to when it was both stationary?

_buddha said:
thanks for the help, actually that guy isn't me LOL. anyways i understand what youre saying, however i don't get why fkd should be on the left side? What i have now is U1 + U2 = K + U2 + fkd. The U2's cancel out...and the left hand side is my initial Emech(both U1 and U2 prior to the drop). isn't it thermal energy fkd PLUS the kinetic energy of both masses = to when it was both stationary?
Ok, just to be sure we are on the same page, your equation now reads

3g(1.5) + 2g(1.5) = 1/2 (5)(3.8)2 + 2g(1.5) + fkd, from which, fkd = +8. Correct? But the answer is fkd = -8. Why? Because the problem is asking for the work done by friction, whereas you have come up with the mechanical energy lost due to friction and transformed to thermal/sound/other forms of energy.

ooh ok, makes sense! ty

1. What is the law of conservation of energy for a system?

The law of conservation of energy for a system states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. What is an example of the conservation of energy in action?

An example of the conservation of energy can be seen in a simple pendulum. As the pendulum swings back and forth, the potential energy at the highest point is converted into kinetic energy as it reaches the lowest point. The total energy of the system remains the same throughout the motion.

3. How does the conservation of energy relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The law of conservation of energy is a foundational principle of the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This means that in any thermodynamic process, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

4. What happens to the energy in a system if work is done?

If work is done on a system, energy is transferred into the system and its total energy increases. In contrast, if work is done by a system, energy is transferred out of the system and its total energy decreases. However, the total amount of energy in the system remains constant due to the law of conservation of energy.

5. What are some potential consequences of not conserving energy in a system?

If energy is not conserved in a system, it can lead to inefficiency and waste. This can result in higher energy costs and negative impacts on the environment, such as increased emissions and depletion of natural resources. It is important to practice energy conservation to promote sustainability and reduce our impact on the planet.